Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

No char porter house steaks?

Options
Bordello
Bordello Posts: 5,926
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I will be egging 3 porter house steaks about 1 inch thick, plan on abut 550°,3 min.. per side and maybe a 3 min dwell. My question, if I don't want a char on the outside can I put a layer of new lump on top of the hot ones just before adding the steaks or will the new lump add a bad taste as they are getting hot from the ones below????
Thanks,
New Bob

Comments

• Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    Options
    New Bob, I'd just damper down the lower vent a bit and use the burning lump only. I think you'll get an off taste if you dump on fresh lump. Cook at 450° and dwell a little longer to keep the char to a minimum. Do as Nature Boy does and dwell with the daisy wheel off to keep accumulating smoke from the smoldering lump off the meat. It vents it out the top a little more instead of collecting on the food.
    Painter

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Painter,
    Thanks, I was worried about the fresh lump adding an off taste. I am cooking for my neighbors so that would not be a good thing. I will try as you suggested.
    Cheers,
    New Bob

• Mr Beer
    Mr Beer Posts: 121
    Options
    New Bob,
    Coat the steaks with yellow mustard. It will keep the outside of the steak very soft and not charred. When they are done you would never know that there had ever been any mustard on the steaks. Plus the vinegar in the mustard will help tenderize.[p]Mr Beer