Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Nature Boy, about them there grilled veggies.....

Options
The Naked Whiz
The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Nature Boy,[p]You know I like a good flash of fire as much as the next guy, but you know when you throw those oil-coated veggies on the hot wok over hot coals, all the oil tends to flare up really really big. (No I didn't have the video running.) So tell me, do you drain the veggies before you dump it all into the wok? I gave them a good stir just before and there was quite a bit of liquid in the bottom of the bowl. When I dumped it all in, I almost got religion real quick! The oil burst into a flash of flame and I had to beat a hasty retreat. I still have my hair, thank goodness! So, did I do something wrong?[p]TNW
The Naked Whiz

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    Cool! I usually get a little flash, but not a major deal, and short-lived. One thing that might help...I usually toss the veggies real good to coat them just before dumping in...that way you don't have a puddle of oil in the bottom of the bowl.[p]How were the veggies??[p]Beers!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Oh, the veggies were fine! I did something like mushrooms, asparagus, vidalia onions and pineapple with a sauce of 1 T oyster sauce, 2T soy sauce, 3T cooking sherry, 1 tsp sugar, 2T vegetable oil and the juice of 1 lime. Oh and 1 humongous crushed clove of garlic. The egg was at about 550 and I wokked them for about 6 minutes. If I can avoid the incineration part, I think I'll do these again![p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    Thought about you last night...had a delayed flashback. Still have all my hair on my head, well what's not naturally falling out, but the arm can't say the same but it'll grow back. Come to think of it, that may explain some of the problem last night. Wife wanted veggies to go with the rib-eye. So, did the veggies, of course coated in oil, first. Kept the temp in the 300 range; once they were done, opened everything up, got to 750+ quickly for the steaks with some serious flames. Next time, a little lower temp and NO veggies.