Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Addition to the Outdoor Kitchen

Options
SSN686
SSN686 Posts: 3,504
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Morning All:

As you can see by the picture below my outdoor kitchen is within a screen room to keep the bugs away, but it has caused problems on occasions when it has rained (as it will do from time to time here in Florida) such that it is a bit damp when cooking because of the screen roof.
P7070001.jpg

Well, my son had bought an umbrella for his yard, but it was missing all of the screws needed to put it together ($100 umbrella he got for less than $20). Then he decided he didn't want it, so I said let me have it and I'll see if I can figure out what is needed to assemble it. As it turned out I only needed a few screws. Now when it rain (or is too sunny) I can open it up to cover me and the Eggs.

P4060006.jpg

Then when not needed it will collapse nicely to not be in the way.

P4060008.jpg

Off to cook some cornbread to go with some Canadian bacon for brunch.

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

Comments

• ILL--EGGER
    ILL--EGGER Posts: 478
    Options
    That is one fantastic looking outdoor kitchen! Great job!
  • BamaBackdraft
    Options
    That will work. Coud have used it the other night.
  • BamaBackdraft
    Options
    Oh yea. forgot to tell you. Cooked that Sausage and cheese roll from your web site for breakfast last weekend. Mighty fine, Mighty fine!! Shrimp burgers looked good also. Saw your post a week or so back with the pics and recipe.
  • citychicken
    citychicken Posts: 484
    Options
    nice setup even before the addition of the canopy.
  • Dr. Strangelove
    Options
    Nice cooking area! I like those offset umbrellas, had one myself when I was in FL. Just how many cats do you have - thats an awful lot of litter I see there!
  • SSN686
    Options
    Morning ILL--EGGER:

Thank you for the kind words. We really enjoy the area. What part of Illinois are you in? I am originally from the very Southern tip and my wife from Granite City. Our families are still there, but we haven't lived there for over 30 years. We do get home occasionally though.

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• SSN686
    Options
    Morning BamaBackdraft:

The Sausage/Cheese roll is one of our favorite cooks. Also, we have done it using ham & swiss as more of a lunch than breakfast meal. I have heard of others using chicken, cheese and veggies for a dinner type dish. It can be a very versatile cook. The shrimpburgers are good too! Thanks for the kind words about the cook.

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• SSN686
    Options
    Morning citychicken:

Thanks for the comments about the outdoor kitchen. We do really enjoy it (especially EggHatter, the much better half, since I do a lot of the cooking and the cleanup is handy). All it takes to have one of your own is a little time and $$$$$.

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• SSN686
    Options
    Morning JET:

The umbrella will be a nice addition for when it rains.

We only have two cats (have had as many as four), but those are empty litter pails. I originally had planned on using them to store lump in and sort by size (small, medium, large), but I have been using the lump fast enough that sorting doesn't make sense. I have since thrown them away, as you can see in the pics with the umbrella. This way I have more storage space for other Eggcessories.

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Neat setup! I'm on the suncoast and do my Eggin' in a covered & screen enclosed lanai. A few neighbors have screened-in overheads like yours and the 'coons invariably get up top and fall in after they've torn through the barrier. Is there a grade of screen (perhaps fiberglass or aluminum) that would prevent this? Happy cookin', and I hope that no uninvited, guests "drop in" on you! 8 - )

Rascal
  • It is called pet screen - reinforced to prevent "pets" from ripping it out
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Good resolution Jay. I thought it never rained in the sunshine state. :woohoo:
  • Oledog
    Oledog Posts: 118
    Options
    Hey Jay; nice set up. I can appreciate needing the cover as I am in Jax Fla and it has rained for the last three day's.

EGG on!!

Oledog
  • SSN686
    Options
    Morning Rascal:

I've never had a problem with the raccoons around here (I have seen a few), but have seen the squirrels running across it occasionnaly. I do believe there is a "heavier" grade of screening (as Ray Kane's response mentions), but I'm not sure if that is on the upper levels of my setup.

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• SSN686
    Options
    Morning Big'un:

Oh yes, it does rain in the Sunshine State. It rained most of yesterday and today so far.

How is your outdoor kitchen effort coming? Need some pictures of you progress!

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• SSN686
    Options
    Morning Oledog:

Yeah, I got tired of trying to hold an umbrella in one hand while opening the Egg. This works just fine. We have had almost continuous rain for the past two days.

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• ILL--EGGER
    ILL--EGGER Posts: 478
    Options
    I'm from central Illinois (near Peoria). I just showed my wife the picture and she said to be sure and let you know we'll be down as soon as we can :laugh: .
  • SSN686
    Options
    Morning ILL-EGGER:

Come on down anytime (of course I may get yelled at for making an invite without checking with the much better half, but I can live with it).

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL