Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any items you can buy from the grocery that work for Pizza?

Options
Franco
Franco Posts: 88
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The family wants me to make pizza tonight and I was just wondering if any of the pre-made sauces or doughs work even close to that which is homemade?[p]While I doubt it, I'd appreciate any suggestions or brands.[p]Thanks, Frank

Comments

• Gloria
    Gloria Posts: 161
    Options
    Franco,
    Boboli makes a pretty good pizza crust, but I have not found a sauce that substitutes for something fresh. Try brushing your crust with olive oil and finely chopped garlic, add freshly sliced tomatoes or a good quality canned tomato (I use my hands to crush canned ones) 3-4 anchovies pulled apart and scattered over (optional...only if you like them), then scatter some fresh mozzarella cheese on and go with it. I know beer is the accepted drink with pizza here in the good ol' USA, but we like a pitcher of wine with ours.

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Franco,
    First of all, you might try calling a local pizza place to see if they sell dough balls. If so, that is the way to go. Also, some pizza places sell unbaked pies, another good choice. As for sauce, it depends on your taste. I often use various brands of spaghetti sauce on pizza. You might also try DiGiorno pies if you are really in a simple mode of operation. Use the time and temps on the package. Cooking them at 600 degrees will tend to burn the crust. I think Spin recommends putting a freezer pizza like DiGiorno on a rack above the stone. I'm sure he'll chime in soon![p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Unknown
    Options
    Franco,
    No. [p]The following takes a long time to explain, but very little time to actually make...once you get the idea and the results are astonishingly good.[p]The crust is the most essential element in pizza making and you should try to learn to make your own (you can do it in a good strong mixer like KitchenAid). There are only four ingredients! Here's how to make enough for four pizzas (you can freeze it, then let thaw in fridge for 1 day before using).[p]The day before you want to make pizza, put in mixer bowl: 8 oz. cake flour, 1 lb. 10 oz. King Arthur all-purpose flour (or, if you must, substitute some other all-purpose flour, but use unbleached). Add 4 tsp. sea salt.[p]Into 2 1/2 c. warm water (105-115 degrees) sprinkle 2 tsp. Hodgson Mills active dry yeast. Let sit 1 min. Stir to dissolve yeast with wooden spoon. (Avoid any yeast that says "fast rising.")[p]After 1 min., mix yeast into water, then add water to flour and mix a minute or two with the wood spoon until a soft sort of stringy dough forms.[p]Put in the dough hook and knead on speed 1 for 15 minutes. Push down with spatula as needed if the dough climbs up the hook.[p]After about 5 min. kneading, stop the motor and touch the dough. You want it fairly sticky. (Doesn't quite stick to your fingers, but feels sticky.) If it's not sticky, add 1 Tbls. water. If it's too sticky, add 1 Tbls. flour. [p]Lightly coat a bowl with mild olive oil. Mold dough into ball. Turn ball in bowl to coat with a little oil. Let rise for 1 1/2 hours. Divide into 4 plastic bags and leave in fridge until the following day. Then you can stretch one of the balls out or use a rolling pin to make it around 12" -- paint it with 2 Tbl. mild olive oil (not virgin), sprinkle on 1/2 tsp. each of sugar and minced garlic. Then add some good quality tomato puree and whole-milk mozarella slices (or good quality provelone works well). After that, put whatever on top you want and bake on a pizza stone at 500-700 for 5-8 minutes. If you're using the egg, it's important to let it heat up and stabilize for about 1/2 hour before cooking in it...otherwise you might get too much nasty raw smoke flavor from the lump that's burning off its surface.[p]