Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

random forum thoughts from a dangerous mind

Options
stike
stike Posts: 15,597
edited November -1 in Forum Feedback
-i think we need to reduce WMK's headaches and have TWO appearance options (if even that). i'd vote "classic" view (with all the buttons and stuff jammed at left) and "flat" view. there are vary many permutations when other views are introduced...

-when i log in, it is usually by posting a reply in a thread, and i click "use my handle" and typing in my password. ideally, it would be nice to land in my post after i submit it, as you normally do when replying to a post, instead of landing on a blank page. after landing on the blank page (after logging in via a reply), you need to go thru two or three pages to get back to the forum

-if the narrow and wide options are to remain, there should be a toggle. currently, there is a static button for "wide view", but to get back to narrow view requires a bit of a treasure hunt

-it would remove extra navigation if the “home page” had the forums listed on it, instead of requiring you to click to find the forums. It’s a little blank for the public face. The ‘P’ forum has a ‘welcome’ for guests that helps set a decent tone. Perhaps our home page could have something similar, or link to the fests (via banners)

-I’m sure there’s a reason for NOT having the link (can’t imagine why, though), but a link to the official BGE homepage would be good. I wonder how many potential customers have clicked the picture of the Big Green Egg at upper right expecting to go there?

-likewise, would be good if clicking the “eggheadforum.com” graphic brought you straight to the forum. Or better yet, if the homepage WAS the egghead forum, with threads visible

-I guess my big request (which I think would benefit users AND the folks maintaing the site) would be simplifying and consistency. The buttons and options at left should aybe just always be there. A button for each forum should always be listed, rather than navigating to a list of the forums and then picking one. Especially right now when we have only two forums anyway. Perhaps there may be more…. I dunno

-AND PLEASE CONSIDER THE FRIKKIN TIP JAR. I don’t think it’s crass at ALL to put a paypal link out there for one or two dollars. If you don’t want to, perhaps you could let us know so a few of us will shut up about it. hahaha

-whatever stipend you get for doing this, it isn’t enough. Whether on purpose or not, this page probably constitutes the “public face” of BGE (even more so than their homepage), and I’d hope they’d ratchet it up a bit more. It’s good, but if I were hanging my hat on this internet peg, I’d want to have a seriously considered site, so I could be taken seriously. That includes perhaps hiring a graphics dude to lay out the site a bit more cleanly. You guys have done a ton of work, but I bet you could use a little help…. No one can do everything themselves, take that from a guy that always thinks he can.
ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    to tell you the truth i just use last 25 now except for maybe monday morning. im betting most aol users (probably not many of us left) will give up on the regular pages quickly. they take over a half minute to load everytime for me. after posting its way quicker just to shut the forum off and hit the last 25 page link i put in the toolbar, much faster than going thru all the links, and with aol on my end, you have to enter your password every post as you never get truly logged in. any one with aol looking to buy an egg as a newbie wont last long on here, its too frustrating until you find the ways around the links and the forum pages.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stike
    Options
    i use last 25 usually after i have read the forum the first time. kinda helps to see how things are happening by viewing the threads in the "old style", but after that, last 25 makes most sense, i agree.

i have to log in everytime i shut the browser and come back. don't know why, because i have firefox set to accept cookies.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I was having that same problem, but last night I unchecked then re-checked the "remember me" box. When I booted up this morning and opened this site I was signed in.

May be worth a try. I am on WinXP Pro, Firefox 2.0.0.12
  • stike
    Options
    cool. i'll try it.
    i am running spysweeper, too. i don't think it should have any issue, but of course, after you install new software (especially spyware or virus related) stuff seems to get goofy, and i seem to attribute it to that.