Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork (picnic) Shoulder the Best!

Options
Sundown
Sundown Posts: 2,980
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
According to my family pork shoulder is better tasting than Boston butt. More flavor, and they think, less fatty...?
The two that I cooked I was a little worried about when they went turbo on me. I wrapped them in foil last night and stuck them in the'fridge. This morning I cranked up Mr. Egg and re-heated them.
In two words I'm pleased.
The troops are already planning Memorial day...more pork shoulder.
Happy Mother's day[p]Carey

Comments

• Wazoo
    Wazoo Posts: 150
    Options
    Sundown,[p]Forgive my ignorance, but what's the dif between the two? [p]Wazoo
  • Unknown
    Options
    Wazoo,[p]I am also wondering what's the difference?[p]I cooked a picnic shoulder (that's what the package said) today. About 8 lbs, I got about 2 lbs of good meat after discarding all the fat and bone.[p]Is that an average yield?[p]...Peter
  • nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    Peter,
    The lower part of the front leg of a pig is the picnic shoulder. The upper part of the leg is the butt. The back legs are the hams. Of course each cut has alot of different names. Confusing huh. For more info on cuts go to:

[ul][li]Pork Cuts[/ul]
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Wazoo,
    nikkig has the answer.
    As far as I can tell there did seem to be more flavor and less fat in the shoulders. I guess it's all a matter of choice. I'm going to try another shoulder soon to see if it all holds true. I recon it's like Ford and Chevy ... your choice.

• hounddog
    hounddog Posts: 126
    Options
    Both cuts do well on a slow cook barbecue. The butt tends to be a little more fatty. However, a slow cook is better suited to more fatty meat, as it melts and moistens the meat. The reason they call it pulled pork is twofold -- one, you are pulling the meat apart. two -- you are pulling out the fat, or some of it at least. My general policy is to cook whatever is prettiest and cheapest. However, if your family is preferring the picnic in a strong vote, I suggest you may want to try cooking your butts a little longer. Just a suggestion.