Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flour tortillas question/Spray w/evoo ok?

Options
Darnoc
Darnoc Posts: 2,661
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Plan on doing some quesadillas on a pizza stone around 450 and spray a little evoo on one side of each of the tortillas and cook around two minutes each side.Does this sound ok?I have done them in the house in a iron skillet and just dampened the tortillas with a sprinkle of water just enough to add a little dampness but the thought that doing them of on a pizza stone might turn out a better product .Any thoughts? Thanks.

Thinking of putting a little of Hunts new roasted tomatoes in with the sour cream and cheese..Told momma I felt like playing today.

Comments

• Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    I do them all the time Darnoc...here's how I prep the tortillas..take a damp paper towel and put it on a plate..then stackup ever how many tortillas you are gonna use and put a damp paper towel over the top..stick them in the micro for about a minute..the moisture will soften them and prep them for the egg...I don't oil them first..put the assembled quesas on the egg and let go for about 5 mins..then open the lid and tamp the top down so that the softened cheese let's u smash them a lil and prep for turning...I brush a little evoo on the top tortilla at this time and let go another 5-10 mins..gotta watch em..after that, I turn, brush on a lil more evoo on the top one.and let them go till done...good luck!
    0e32e47d.jpg
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    I think it is fine to put EVOO or butter on the tortillas, but I am not sure that I would use the pizza stone.

When you cook pizza on the stone, you generally cover it with something like ground cornmeal or semolinal, to keep things from sticking. I personally don't think that you want anything absorbed into the stone and then cook directly on it.

I personally favor using parchment even when cooking a pizza and I have other toyools to use for indirect cooks.

I guess the same thing happens with a castiron skillet, but it is not nearly as absorbant as a pizza stone.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    when i have done them before i have just thrown them on the pizza stone dry turned out pretty good

03-03-08002.jpg

i used the recepie from the american heart assoation

MUSHROOM QUESADILLAS
    Serves 6; 2 wedges per serving
    Vegetable oil spray

8 ounces sliced fresh mushrooms

1/2 medium onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings

1 teaspoon bottled minced garlic

3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro

3 8-inch whole-wheat flour tortillas

6 tablespoons shredded low-fat Monterey Jack cheese with jalapeqo peppers or low-fat cheddar cheese

Salsa (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a large skillet with vegetable oil. Cook mushrooms, onion and garlic in skillet over medium heat until onion is tender, about 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in cilantro and remove from heat. Arrange one-third of the mushroom mixture on half of one tortilla. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of the cheese. Fold the other half of the tortilla over cheese. Place on a baking sheet. Repeat with remaining ingredients to make 3 quesadillas total. Bake quesadillas about 5 minutes, or until filling is hot and cheese melts. Cut each quesadilla into 4 wedges. Serve warm with salsa if desired.
    Microwave Method:

Spray a microwave-safe casserole with vegetable oil. Add mushrooms, onion and garlic. Cook, uncovered, on 100% power (high) for 5 to 7 minutes, or until onion is tender, stirring twice.

Stir in cilantro.

Assemble quesadillas as directed above and arrange them on a microwave-safe plate or platter. Cook, rotating plate once, uncovered, on 100% power (high) for 1 to 2 minutes, or until filling is hot and cheese melts.

Calories: 67 kcal
    Protein: 4 g
    Carbohydrates: 10 g
    Total Fat: 2 g
    Saturated Fat: 1 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat: 0 g
    Monounsaturated Fat: 0 g
    Cholesterol: 4 mg
    Sodium: 115 mg

Reprinted with permission from the American Heart Association Quick And Easy Cookbook, Copyright ) 1995 by the American Heart Association. Published by Times Books, a division of Random House, Inc.

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Darnoc,

When we make fajitas we take the flour tortillas and do nothing other than put them directly on the grate. They will turn out crunchy and a bit stiff. We fold them rather than try to roll them.

The crunch is great on the fajitas. I would think doing the same thing for quesadillas would be great.

I have some chicken and pulled pork left over from yesterday's cook. Your quesadillas cook sounds like a great cook for tonight.

Thanks for the idea.

Kent
  • Darnoc
    Options
    That sounds good to me but at what temperature is your cook?I think for that amount of time 450 would be to hot and burn thing up. At what temperature do do the cook?
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    We do them right on the open grid, the cheese provides enough lubrication. -RP
    P1010626Small.jpg
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    I cook them around 400-450 also..just have to keep a lose eye on them as they seem to cook for different times depending on what's in them..
  • Darnoc
    Options
    Thanks Randy. It looks like I will try them wit and witout the stone. Making that comment I will have to add some aged cheddar in wit the jack.Tomorrow steak subs on the3 Egg.Wit everything.Thanks guys.
  • Large Marge
    Large Marge Posts: 404
    Options
    No oil needed if you're just prepping plain tortillas for fajitas, etc-- I wrap em in a loose foil packet, add a few drops of water to create steam and throw the foil pak on the grill a few minutes before pulling everything.