Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Leg of Lamb

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I hope this works. I am new to the forum but I have owned an EGG for several years. I was wondering if someone could direct me to some pictures that would show me how to set my grill up for the leg of lamb. I plan on using the recipe on the recipe page of this web site. :blush:

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Not knowing you eggact situation, I will make a few assumptions. I have a large and would set it up indirect with a plate setter, legs up drip pan with some water to keep the grease from burning and smelling up the leg. Grid with a "V" rack and cook at 350F until internal temp about 130-135F depending on how you like lamb. I like it medium rare and it will creep up 5-6 degrees or so after you take it off to rest. Time will be determined by the size. Careful they will dry out.
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    rEGGulator, the recipe calls for indirect heat. That means you put some sort of barrier between the lump and your leg of lamb to prevent radiant heat from hitting it. If you have a plate setter, you'd put it in your Egg feet up and likely place a drip pan on it, propped up by little foil balls to keep it from scorching.

If you don't have a plate setter, you'll have to rig up some sort of barrier instead. A drip pan under the lamb would work, so long as the lamb is in a V-rack or some other apparatus to keep it off the hot pan. If you have a pizza stone, that could be used, too, so long as you don't allow the meat to contact the hot surface below.

Here's a rough idea and, while it's not a leg of lamb, it will convey the general configuration:

DSC00288.jpg

That the grill on top of an inverted plate setter with a water-filled drip pan between them. You can't see the four foil balls under the drip pan, obviously.
  • Thanks for such quick and excellent replys. After looking at your replys, I am thinking that I need an extra grid. I do have a place setter and I think I can find a drip pan. Not sure where I need to put the foil balls. Also, should I add any water into the drip pad to keep the meat from becoming to dry? Thanks. Technology is great!! :P
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    I regular cook lamb in my egg. I use a drip pan on my platesetter, but dry. Never too smoky. I always put it in a V-Rack.
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    1/2 steam tray from costco 30 for about $9.oo last time i bought and a random rack from my collection. no water in pan .

lamb003-1.jpg
  • Rick's Tropical Delight
    Options
    make sure you use some fancy cool looking skewers, assuming your leg is boneless

legoflamb-035.jpg

legoflamb-015.jpg
  • I think i have a plan now. Thanks to all for helping. I will probably use butchers twine in place of fancy skewers. Your lamb pictures look great!!

Also, how important is the 350* dome temp? My thermometer is getting stuck and I have to bang on it to get it to move. Any other way to get an idea of temp without a green egg thermometer?? Sorry.
  • Rick's Tropical Delight
    Options
    if you have any other stick & stay thermometer, you can either insert it in the regular thermometer hole or insert into the daisy wheel. the dome temp doesn't have to be exact, it's the internal meat temp you really need to monitor. 350, 325, 375, 400, all will work for dome temps.
  • Thanks, I did find a thermometer at Home Depot today, but the spike is very short, so sticking it in the daisy wheel sounds like it might work.. Thanks again. :cheer:
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    Damn, Rick you take the best pics of the most delicious-looking cooks around. Two big thumbs up, buddy.