Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I Bought an XL Egg Today

Options
porterhouse64
porterhouse64 Posts: 164
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Unfortunately, that is where the good news ends.

I called the dealer and went to pick it up today along with several accessories. I got back home and started unpacking. That was when the experience took a negative turn.

I got the packing check list and was looking for everything.

Missing:

1. ceramic feet
2. metal damper top
3. temperature gauge

In my conversations with various dealers, I was assured all of these things would be included. From there presence on the packing checklist, I thought they should be included.

Am I wrong? Are these items extra?

To make matters worse the mesh draft door was badly damaged by what appears to be a fork from the forklift that was used to load/move the egg. The opening of the draft door was chipped. I looked and did not see a crack.

Due to work and the distance of the dealer I will not be able to return to the store until next Saturday. That was the day I had planned on building a table for the egg. Instead, I will be trying to resolve the problems I have encountered.

I am willing to give the dealer a chance to make things right, but this is a very aggravating situation. I don't to mention them by name unless they fail to make things right.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Comments

• Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    No, I haven't, and this isn't a good start to things.

Not sure about the standard parts, but if they're on the packing list, you ought to have them
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    It's my understanding that the XL doesn't come with ceramic feet. You should have gotten the daisy wheel top and the thermometer though. -RP
  • axpro
    axpro Posts: 50
    Options
    i remember the "does the xl come with feet" discussion from a few weeks back ending with a "no"

othr things??? definitely not cool to be missing.
    :(
  • pop-a- top
    pop-a- top Posts: 184
    Options
    Why don't all dealers assemble there egg's
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    Dont know --

I have purchased two eggs, from two different dealers -- both were assembled flawlessly. The Medium was delivered free... Since I could easily handle the Small, I brought it home, myself.

I am extremely pleased with both my dealers. One has backed the warranty as the firebox and fire ring disintegrate [which is normal for lots of extended use].

The other has become a trusted friend to whom I will return for muchos, muchos purchasos...

...in the meantime, I sure am looking forward to Omaha Eggfoot, er... I mean, Eggfest!

~ Broc
    :):):):):)
  • Egg Pirate
    Egg Pirate Posts: 114
    Options
    I do it for my customers. But there are a lot of dealers that don't. XL does not have feet but you should have gotten the daisy wheel and thermo.
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    Did you check all your boxes? The EGGs now come in 2 boxes, 1 box that is all the ceramic parts (no feet for the XL or the Mini)and box 2 has all the metal parts(Band, thermometer, dual function metal top, cooking grid, charcoal grate) as well as the instruction manual and the DVD.

The checklist that comes in the ceramics box is correct because the parts that are not checked no longer come in that box.
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    my large was assembled, deliverd and set in place by my dealer although I live like 30 miles from him and nothing missing..I bought my small from a closer dealer and all was there although I was surprised when I got it home that the bottom vent had no mesh screen in it..I called the 'mothership' and they told me that this was an upgrade..I didnt argue..just paid the 8bux and ordered one of the new romex gaskets for my large while I was at it... everything went smooth as silk..bad luck bud..hope the dealer straightens all that out for you...I understand your frustration!.. :(
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    bobbyQ is one of the people who work for Big Green Egg and he watches this forum regualary.......

make sure you answer his questions honestly he will be able to help you with your problen more than anyone else ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Sorry to hear about the bad experience, man. The two BGEs I've purchased from my dealer were both in some seriously heavyweight boxes. All piece parts were there, and anything chipped/damaged was my fault. Hopefully, the issues will get resolved on your next trip back and you'll be in business soon.

Look forward to hearing how you were helped out by your dealer.
  • porterhouse64
    Options
    Thanks for the replies/info.

The packing date was 5/30/07.

The packing box was a hexagonal one with a top and bottom cap style piece. Everything was in that box except the band and hardware. The hardware was is not the same as the hardware in the video on the BGE website.

By the way there was no video/DVD included either.

When talking to the dealer about table construction, he suggested using the feet and a large stepping stone for it sit on. I think he was under the impression that the feet were included.

I don't blame the dealer for the missing parts. I am concerned that he either accepted a damaged shipping box or that it was damaged at his business.

I will not be able to contact him until Monday. I believe that he will make it right. I have talked to others who have dealt with him on a wide variety of non-egg issues.

I am just frustrated that the problems are going to delay the use of the egg.

Thanks again for the comments and suggestions.
  • porterhouse64
    Options
    I talked to the dealer today.

He said he could pull all missing and damaged parts from the floor and give them to me.

Awesome, the problem is being resolved much faster and easier than I thought.

I won't be totally relaxed until I get everything, build a table and get the first cook under my belt.

Hopefully that will be no later than Tuesday next week.