Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

beef tenderloin - recommendations??

Options
RU Eggsperienced
RU Eggsperienced Posts: 1,527
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi Everyone,

Anybody have any good ideas for a tenderloin/filet??

Really appreciate any feedback - never egged one.

Comments

• lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    this is classic. do not over cook as tenderloin is not heavy on the fat and will be dry and tough

meat.jpg
  • RU Eggsperienced
    Options
    Thanks - wondering if cooking a whole tenderloin. Would you recommend slicing rather than cooking the whole thing??
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    depends on the time you have to do it either way is fine. the way my pic shows is a good quick cook and a show off meal that does not take much time.
    i put some bacon on the whole ones too.
    most important for a whole one is: there is a 'tail' on the whole one, i.e. one end has a greater diameter than the other. you need to fold the skinny end over and tie it so the diameter is the same for the whole lenght of the meat. other wise the tail is over cooked when the thick part is right.
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    There's at least one recipe in the Recipe section of the forum.

My method, adapted from the Durham NC Junior League cookbook of 20 years ago, is:

Trim and tie up, folding the small end back to even out the thickness.

Mix together about 2 tablespoons of very coarsely ground black pepper, a teaspoon of salt, and a teaspoon of garlic powder (all more or less, depending on taste.)

Pour about 1/4 cup of worcestershire sauce over tenderloin, then roll in the spice mix.

Make a "boat" large enough to hold the tenderloin with a couple layers of heavy aluminum foil, and place the meat in the boat.

Cook indirectly at 325 - 350 degrees for about 45 minutes. Remove from Egg when internal temp is 125. Don't overcook - it'll become tough - but I've found that big tenderloins may require longer. Let rest for ten minutes, slice and serve.

I can send you a scanned copy of the original recipe if you send me email - check my profile for the email address.
  • Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Options
    I have marinated a whole tenderloin in Stubbs Beef marinade overnight, and hit the grill raised direct at 350 until I get to desired doneness - which for me is about 140 for medium. It's important to tuck and tie the "tail" to roughly the same thickness as the body of the tenderloin - unless you have someone that wants well done! VERY tasty, and expensive! :unsure:
  • c tredwell
    c tredwell Posts: 575
    Options
    No time to marinade?

half and half
    soy sauce/bourbon. Only let soak for an hour. Pat dry, season, sear, shut egg down , 10 minutes more for med rare.
    Easy and good

ctredwell
    go dawgs