Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

bacon grease

Options
fishlessman
fishlessman Posts: 32,818
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
ive got one of those bacon grease strainers that looks like an old coffee perculator. question is, how long does bacon grease keep without spoiling on a stove top. i remember my grandmother just leaving it out and not refridgerating it, maybe she cleaned it out once a week and made each batch on sunday for the weeks use.
fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• Pork Butt Mike
    Pork Butt Mike Posts: 2,584
    Options
    I remember my Mom use to strain the beacon grease and leave it on the stove top like for ever. I don't think it could go bad if you strain it and take out the small bits of junk. I could be wrong but then I am allways worng. Good luck.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Probably good until it turns the color of your BGE!! 8 - )
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    If it is clean drained of particles it will last indifferently. If you check on Chowhound the mention a burger joint down south that uses that to cook their burgers in and it is 85 years old.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    mmmm..... 85 year old bacon grease. been just leaving it on the back of the simmer plate, just wasnt sure, its only been there a couple weeks
    fukahwee maine

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    interesting question. can't answer about bacon fat, but it is perfectly safe to fry chips, etc. in shortening, and put the deep fryer away when cool with the shortening still in it, indefinitely.

i think your issue might be rancidity eventually. off flavors, etc.

my mom forever had a coffee can with bacon grease in it, but that was in the fridge.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • fishlessman
    Options
    found the strainer in the goya section, nicer than a coffee can.
    fukahwee maine

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Here is a recipe that I have been using variations of for years and great when the spinach is sauted in the bacon grease.
    Think the grease on the stove will last a long time, but never have a lot of it around to check the theory.

Salad, Spinach, W/Warm Bacon Dressing

INGREDIENTS:
    8 oz young spinach
    2 large eggs
    8 pieces thick-sliced bacon, chopped
    3 Tbs red wine vinegar
    1 tsp sugar
    1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
    Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
    4 large white mushrooms, sliced
    3 oz red onion (1 small), very thinly sliced

Procedure:
    1 Remove the stems from the spinach and wash, drain and pat dry thoroughly. Place into a large mixing bowl and set aside.
    2 Place the eggs into an electric kettle and cover with cold water by at least 1-inch. Turn the kettle on. Once the water comes to a boil, the kettle will turn itself off. Leave the eggs in the water for 15 minutes. Remove and peel off the shell. Slice each egg into 8 pieces and set aside.
    3 While the eggs are cooking, fry the bacon and remove to a paper towel to drain, reserving 3 tablespoons of the rendered fat. Crumble the bacon and set aside.
    4 Transfer the fat to a small saucepan set over low heat and whisk in the red wine vinegar, sugar and Dijon mustard. Season with a small pinch each of kosher salt and black pepper.
    5 Add the mushrooms and the sliced onion to the spinach and toss. Add the dressing and bacon and toss to combine. Divide the spinach between 4 plates or bowls and evenly divide the egg among them. Season with pepper, as desired. Serve immediately.

Servings: 4
    Preparation time: 20 minutes

Recipe Type
    Salad

Recipe Source
    Author: Alton Brown, 2007

Source: Food Network, Alton Brown, 2007/02/22

Episode#: SR0106

Copyright © 2006 Television Food Network, G.P., All Rights Reserved
  • I pour it through a coffee filter and keep it for weeks (the fat, not the filter).
  • fishlessman
    Options
    thanls, spinach is one of the greens i do eat
    fukahwee maine

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    My mom did the same thing, strained it into a coffee can. But she never put it in the fridge, she kept in in the lazy susan.
  • GriffinGaDawg
    Options
    Joint is in Memphis on Beale street. Can't remember the name, but it is a diner like burger joint.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    my mom used to use a coffee cup and put it in the fridge. non-filtered ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• metrylee
    metrylee Posts: 94
    Options
    PORK FAT RULES
  • Essex County
    Options
    I put it in the fridge next to the duck fat.
    Paul
  • OzarkQ
    OzarkQ Posts: 150
    Options
    It's saturated fat - good for a long time... until it smells rancid. My lesson about that hippie unsaturated fat was a few days ago... :laugh: