Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need medium egg advice please.....

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have used my medium egg for several years now, but have never cooked two whole chickens at one time. Can two spatchcocked chickens fit OK on my medium grill? If not, will it work to use two chickens upright on spanek cookers, or what would you guys recommend?? Have company coming and one chicken is not enough...thanks for any advice!!

Comments

• Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    I dont have a medium so will have to defer an answer..short of that...I'd spatchcock 'em and see if they will both fit..I like yard bird room temp anyway..so you could cook em individually and have one hot and one room temp...just a thought.. ;)
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    You can fit them, but you'll need to separate the leg quarters from the breasts to make it work unless you have pretty small birds.

Once you spatchcock the bird it is pretty simple to remove the leg quarters. The results are the same but you get more flexibility arranging the parts on the grid.

Another option is to use the extended grid and put one bird on each, but you would likely need to swap them about halfway through or one may get done quicker than the other.
  • Slotmercenary
    Slotmercenary Posts: 1,071
    Options
    i have fit as many as three small birds on my medium with an upright can rack. turn platesetter upside down and stand the birds in a foil pan.
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    I have done two simultaneously...

> Spatchcock
    > Cut clean through the middle to make "halvsies"
    > These arrange much more easily on the relatively limited space

Have a great cook!

~ Broc