Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Raised grid & route for probe thermometer?

Options
OzarkQ
OzarkQ Posts: 150
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Got my new LBGE christened with the Johnny Boy burgers and then did boneless skinless breasts last night - so far, so good! Burgers were great, but overcooked a bit - but still surprised me when it spurted juice all over my face when I took a bite. :laugh:

I've seen a few recipes calling for a raised grid. Can I just use my platesetter to raise the grid up or is it suppose to be direct on a raised grid? I imagine that raises the temperature relative to the dome thermometer, but what other benefits are there?

Regarding snaking the probe - I've seen people wrap the lead with foil, but my probe is a stainless braid - do I need to wrap it?

Cheers
Geoff

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    A raised grid gets the food up higher into the dome for more even cooking. I find I don't have to flip the food and get even browning. The plate setter is used in this pic as well as the raised grid. I don't wrap the probe wires with foil and don't use the probes at temps higher than 350. -RP
    IMG_0808Small.jpg
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Randy has explained the raised grate so now about covering the wire mesh cable. There are two schools of thought. I'm a wrapper myself as I have tried both ways and once the mesh gets full of crud it gets stiff and brittle. My wrapped cables stay clean and flexible. The only exception to wrapping is to not wrap the Teflon cable that is used on a BBQ Guru.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.