Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

last night's prime rib - WOWSER!!!

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,898
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've egged several prime ribs over the last 8 years and while they have been OK that's just it..."OK". Soooo I decided to wipe the slate clean and start over last night. I planned to follow the general suggestions by thirdeye but I took a few turns in the road. I found a PR rub recipe in a book that sounded good, but even at that I made modifications to it as well. Using a sharp knife and a 1" wide piece of wood as a guideline I made criss-cross deep cuts through the heavy fat rind so I could work the rub into the crevasses. Then smeared all sides with yellow mustard, and dusted with more of the rub, kosher salt and fresh pepper. The cook was indirect at 250° with plate setter turned up. It took way longer than predicted to get to 125 internal and time was running out so I opened the vents and removed the Daisy. within minutes the dome was 600+ and I let it reverse sear for 10 minutes and the internal temp got to 135 so off it came.

This is not a clear picture so it doesn't do it justice.
IMG_2261.jpg

Then cut...
IMG_2263.jpg

This was one mighty fine tasting chuck-o-cow and I'll do this again!
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    Looks great Ron.Great work :)
  • Oledog
    Oledog Posts: 118
    Options
    I like the idea of the reverse sear; don't see that mentioned very often.

Oledog
  • KC
    KC Posts: 91
    Options
    I like using reverse sear on PR too. Since this one turned out better than the others you have done do you mind posting the rub recipe with your modifications?
  • RRP
    Options
    This was more than enough for my small 3+ pounder and I imagine it would be enough for a 6 pounder yet, maybe the thicker application is what made it tasty.

Prime Rib Rub as modified
    1 T ground mustard
    1.5 t table salt
    0.5 t paprika
    0.25 t allspice
    0.25 t fresh ground pepper
    1 t grandulated onion powder
    0.5 t garlic powder

Also like I said I used the smear of mustard for sake of a good bark and hit it well with the remaining rub plus kosher salt and more fresh ground pepper.
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Options
    RRP,
    Looks good enough to eat.
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Looks like you found you a system!! Thank for posting complete burn instructions so I can replicate. :) What was wrong with the others b4?
  • RRP
    Options
    Thinking back over the years...

Direct, albeit shielded vs true indirect using the inverted plate setter. Then probably too high of heat by doing the sear at the beginning instead of the end and the choice of rub or lack thereof. Lastly, the lack of a tasty bark! Burnt/crisp meat is not bark - it's burnt/crisp meat! Please try it and let me know your added twists! Right now - 24 hours later - I still have fond memories of this chunk-o-cow!
  • Cory430
    Cory430 Posts: 1,073
    Options
    Good looking PR, it makes me want to go out and plop down a few greenbacks. Thanks forposting the how-to.

P.S. Did you get the dip recipe? (it got down the page pretty quickly)
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Ohh Yes, You always remember your first good one! :laugh:
  • RRP
    Options
    Yes I did and I thank you. I always try to have some salmon left over to make "my dip" but I'm sure going to try yours next time.
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    Beauty of a prime rib, RRP. I'd say you've found the way to do PR cooks, no?