Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Routine Cleaning

Options
RWhiplash
RWhiplash Posts: 48
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have found a ton of articles regarding annual or semi annual cleanings of the Eggs. However, I'm curious about routine cleaning after a cook. Other than steel brushing the grill is there any other things I should be doing on a routine basis after every cook? Thanks for your responses.

Comments

• "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    All I do when I shut down the egg is put the daisy-wheel inside and put on the raincap.This helps burn off any crud.Then when I start the egg the next time,I let the grid heat up and scrape it off with the brush once hot.It cleans much easier when hot. :)
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    I'm pretty good about cleaning out the cookers every time I use them, especially the SBGE which is pretty easy to take apart and put back together. I always remove the used charcoal and put it in the shaker to remove the ash, then I clean out the inside of the firebox as good as I can with the ash tool and some crumpled up newspaper and put everything back together. In with the new lump, and pour the old lump on top after the ash has been removed.

As far as the grates are concerned, they're usually left in the cooker so that any gunk can be burned off after the cook, then brushed with a steel brush on both sides. I don't treat the cast iron grate any different with the exception that I store it inside my old kettle grill so that it doesn't get rusted out.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    What is this shaker that you speak of? Maybe that has something to do with my recent problem of dropping temps.
    Thanx,
    Molly
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Molly,

Check out my post, just above this one:

Lump shaker

It's almost the same setup which shotgun fred uses in his youtube videos:

Check out his videos here