Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

bone-in chicken breast

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
need quick way to cook bi chicken breast

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    Here you go

Chicken, Breasts, Sesame-Lemon Chicken W/Crisp Phyllo Crust

It's snowing again on the east coast. I've measured 7 new inches and it's still falling. I had trouble getting the egg temperature to rise above 400F, but these were pretty good anyway. All that evaporative cooling from those thousands of snowflakes falling on the egg didn't help it much. At least this storm doesn't have a strong wind with it like last week's. Another day off tomorrow to dig out.************************I got this recipe from the Fine Cooking web site, then made a few adjustments. This way of doing chicken breasts looks very elegant, is very tasty, but pretty easy to do. The egg, of course adds that little extra tiny bit of smoke flavor. I'll make these next time I have company.

INGREDIENTS:
    FOR THE CHICKEN AND MARINADE:
    6 Boneless Breast Halves -- (about 6 Oz. Each) skinless chicken
    3 Tbs fresh lemon juice
    2 Tbs soy sauce
    2 Tbs vegetable oil -- A good quality grapeseed or olive oil
    3 Tbs honey
    1 tsp Roasted Sesame Oil
    2 Cloves garlic -- grated
    2 tsp Fresh Ginger
    1 pinch cayenne -- or heavy sprinkle to taste
    1/2 tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper
    1 egg white
    FOR THE COATING:
    4 sheets Phyllo Dough -- (defrosted completely in the package (5 hrs.); don't open the box until ready to use)
    4 Tbs Vegetable Oil -- A good quality grapeseed or olive oil
    1/2 cup Sesame Seeds -- toasted

Procedure:
    For the marinade--
    1 Rinse the chicken breasts, pat them dry, and make a few slashes in each. Combine the marinade ingredients in a non-reactive bowl and add the chicken. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
    For BGE:
    1 At least a half hour before ready to cook, fire BGE, place
    2 firebricks in a row - 2 laid flat in center of grid and 2 on their sides at either end. These will support the baking sheet or you can put a grid on top of the bricks. Use a perforated grill dish; spray with PAM. Hold dome temperature at 500F.
    3 To coat and cook the chicken--Heat the oven to 450 F and butter a baking sheet. Right before you are ready to roast the chicken, oil a sheet of phyllo, top with another sheet, oil that and repeat with the other two sheets. Cut the phyllo stack into 6 equal strips, about 3 " wide. Don't let the phyllo sheets dry out. Follow the directions below for wrapping the breasts and dipping the ends in the seeds. Set the prepared breasts on a buttered baking sheet (I used pam) and roast them until crisp, browned, and cooked through, 25 to 30 min.
    4 An elegant wrap. Remove a breast from the marinade and let some of the
    5 marinade drip off. Lay the breast at one end of a strip of phyllo and roll it up, leaving the ends exposed.
    6 Dip both ends of the chicken into the sesame seeds to coat. Put the
    7 breast, phyllo seam down, on the buttered baking sheet; repeat with other breasts. Brush the tops of the phyllo with oil before roasting.
    8 These breasts have a crinkly, golden phyllo crust and a nutty
    9 flavor from the toasted sesame seeds.
    10 These are easy to do despite the elegant crust on them. Don't
    11 prepare the phyllo dough ahead; it will dry out.

Servings: 6

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Poultry

Recipe Source
    Author: Mary Buckingham

Source: BGE Forum, Mary, 01/30/00

Elizabeth Terry is the chef/owner of Elizabeth on 37th in Savannah, Georgia.

Description:

"Crisp-Coated Chicken is Crunchy Outside, Juicy Inside"

Source: "From Fine Cooking #25, pp. 34-37.

NOTES : Sesame-Lemon Chicken gets extra crunch from flaky phyllo layers.

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• StumpBaby
    StumpBaby Posts: 56
    Options
    If I hadda bi chicken breast I think I'd take it on tour or somthin...but whatever you do..please please please..keep them far far away from the other chicken breasts....I mean spose all the otha chickens caught on..the world is in balance now simply because farmers for years and years have been seperating their men chickens from their women chickens....so you got yore left chickens and yore right chickens...so that's evin math a matically speakin and so world is balanced..and that matters because there are millions and millions of chickens in the world and they all add up to a lot of weight .... but you throw in yore bi chickens...and then just what the heck would happen....you'd think maybe we'd still be alright because you'd have the left chickens..the right chickens and all them middle chickens..but you gotta think about all them chicken farmers..they'd be so worried about them figuring out how to properly sort their chickens out and constantly ... runnin from the left to the right and back and forth testin all their chickens against all the other chickens to see which chickens were which..and WHAMO..sooner or later..by the laws of physics and the mysteries of science them farmers would eventually git in sync with each other and next thing you know the whole globe would start to get off balance and wobble somethin fierce.

I hope I caught you afore it was too late...

StumpBaby