Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Standing rib success!

Options
Barbes
Barbes Posts: 35
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thanks to everyone who gave me advice on this. Dinner for eight last night, 9+ pound prime rib (a real one -- actual prime beef). Indirect at 250, it took four hours to hit 125 internal. We weren't ready to eat yet, so foiled and into the cooler with a towel to take up space for an hour. Then 12 minutes at 500 for the end sear. Beautiful, a perfect medium-rare, juicy, tender -- everybody loved it. Fabulous.

Comments

• DynaGreaseball
    DynaGreaseball Posts: 1,409
    Options
    Way to go, Barbes.

so, you decided to do the reverse sear after all. Sure helps with the timing and serving doesn't it? Glad it turned out so nicely. Sure wish you had taken pictures. Would you do it exactly the same way again?
  • Barbes
    Options
    Our camera's gone missing, unfortunately. Need to replace it and figure out how to post pictures.

Searing at the end is really convenient. One of our guests got lost -- we live in Brooklyn and he took the wrong subway -- and was over an hour late, and it didn't matter at all: the roast came out like we'd planned it that way.

If I were to try something different, it might be to sear at an even higher temperature -- bring it up to 600 or 700 for an even crisper outside. It'd be worth a try, but frankly it was pretty much perfect as it was. Some of the dinner guests are pretty demanding and not shy about saying so, and they were all just raving about it.
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    That sounds like it was delish! I've never cooked actual prime before, but as good as choice was, I can only imagine how good prime would be!
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Barbes
    Options
    This was a special occasion -- a friend back after two years in China -- and it was completely worth it. The four-rib, nine-pound roast cost $150, which works out to not quite $17/lb - not bad with what beef is costing right now. We could have gotten away with a three-rib roast, as it turned out, but now we've got the leftovers...
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    All my Prime Ribs have been done the same way, I also do my tri-tip with the sear at the end.