Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tonight's sacrifice/dinner tonight

Options
Beanie-Bean
Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK, the DigiQ did it's thing and maintained a proper 250 dome until I put some sauce on the pork butt steaks and raised the temp to 275 and ran it another 30 minutes. Outstanding product if I must say so. Still have to try the ramp mode for the pork butts I've got in the beer fridge on standby. Here are the finished pork butt steaks, sauced up with some Baby Ray's Honey BBQ sauce:

IMG_9455.jpg
IMG_9456.jpg

Here is a recap of the different seasonings/rubs used on the different steaks:
IMG_9454.jpg
Some DP Dizzy Dust and Raging River, Benoit's Cajun Seasoning, Konriko Creole seasoning, some kosher salt, and EVOO. All of the steaks were seasoned differently, but all of them received the EVOO and the BBQ sauce at the end.

For those of you who like sausage, I'd highly recommend trying some of Emeril's Kicked Up sausage. Those things have some afterburner power to them--really nice, mild flavor with some nice heat! Here is the SBGE at work doing up Emeril's Kicked Up and some Apple & Chicken (also Emeril's)
IMG_9457.jpg
IMG_9459.jpg

Everyone enjoyed the dinner this evening, and I finally got rid of the last of that nasty lump I've had sitting in the garage. You can e-mail me about that if you need additional info--I think I've bashed that brand enough, and don't wish to give them any more free advertising even by mentioning their brand :(

Happy Egging, everyone!

Comments

• "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    Looks great Mike.I am glad to hear that you finally got rid of that sh!t. :laugh: Now you can get some good lump.
  • ThrRoff
    ThrRoff Posts: 169
    Options
    Those pork steaks look really good. Nice. And, I am sure all of us have screwed something up on the Egg.
  • ThrRoff
    ThrRoff Posts: 169
    Options
    Those pork steaks look really good. Nice. And, I am sure all of us have screwed something up on the Egg.
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    Outstanding looking grub BB!!...hey..where'd did you get the Benoit's cajun?..most cajun rubs have way too much salt imho..at least from what I remember from my time in 'acadia'... I notice Benoit's is salt free..would like to give it a try..of course the DP dizzy dust I know and the JH Pecan is my fav of the JH rubs...would like to get some of the benoit's cajun..havent seen that in the stores here...
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    Pork steaks are like bread and wine at communion here in St. Louis around Memorial Day...everyone eats them. Those look amazing, Mike.

BTW, I've got some lump so nasty, it's just going into the trash come Tuesday. I'm pretty sure it's part of Saddam's missing WMD arsenal.
  • Beanie-Bean
    Options
    Yessir! I'm down to two unopened bags, and one newly opened bag. That's pretty much like being on empty for me. Luckily, the dealers here stock Ozark Oak which has become my favorite lump, and wally world stocks the U.S.-made Royal Oak for a really good price.

Thanks for the kind words!
  • Beanie-Bean
    Options
    Thanks for the words of encouragement! What you didn't see was one of the sausages I took out of the cooker because it was in the danger zone--the gap where the meat gets cooked direct because of the gap on the plate setter :P That thing looked like a piece of lump on one side. Hehe :laugh:
  • Beanie-Bean
    Options
    I get the Benoit's from a small store in Lafayette, LA. My sister lives just north of there, so whenever we go there, or my parents go and visit there we get some. Send me an email for additional info, because I'm not sure whether or not you can order it online--I'll ask my family about that. My brother turned me on to that stuff, and I've been using it quite a bit because of the fact that you can control the salt going into the food.
  • Beanie-Bean
    Options
    Thanks for the nice comments! I think that batch of lump I had was some of the same stuff you were talking about. Man I laughed pretty hard when I read your post--too funny, man! :laugh: Gotta go figure out what to cook for tomorrow now...
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    #1 Quit posting pics of the small. Bad enough you have one smaller than me but quit rubbing it in! :angry: #2 You can use the word "sacrifice" in your post topic but hear by claiming copy right on it from anyone else! B) #3 Got to love the "Hello Kitty" beer glasses. Note to get me a set. All my friends will be jellous. :evil: #4 Did I mention great looking cook!!!! When you headed to San Antonio? Thats where I suggest. Better weather, Sea World for the kids and GREAT REAL mexican food CHEAP! :whistle:
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Jeffersonian,

You're in St.Lou. Gonna be there next weekend in Dogtown to ride in a fire truck in the parade with a fellow egger.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Jeffersonian
    Options
    I had no idea we had a Dogtown parade next weekend. :blush: What's the occasion?
  • Little Steven
    Options
    MMMMM. pork steak

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Options
    St. Paddy's. Am I a week early?

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Jeffersonian
    Options
    D'oh...of course. If you're in Dogtown for St. Paddy's, you'll most likely be headed to Seamus McDaniel's. Pretty good place, with a nice courtyard that, unfortunately, will most likely be wet next weekend. I hope you enjoy your stay.
  • Beanie-Bean
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    BUSTED! And I mean busted on many levels--The Small Egg fiasco almost got the best of me tonight. Just didn't have enough charcoal. Or enough beer, for that matter! The "Sacrifice" was a tribute to you and the others who faithfully post their cooks on the forum day in and day out. I always look for those--the ones that simply say "Dinner Tonight" or in your case "Tonight's Sacrifice." You can never have enough ideas from you guys on what to cook next. Seriously. Heck, I did some leftover ribeye, sweet onions, and some teriyaki for lunch just from seeing something that Rick's Tropical Delight did with the Dutch Oven and the Flat Irons. It wasn't exactly what he did, but I sure was inspired to do something right with some leftover ribeye still in the fridge.

What else? Oh yeah...that is my 4-year old's cup, not mine. Honest! We'll be taking them out to S.A. later on this week for Shamu and maybe the zoo, depending on the weather. At least it isn't snowing down there like it did in Dallas.

Thanks, man--you made my day with the Hello Kitty Beer Glass statement :laugh:
  • Beanie-Bean
    Options
    It's pretty good. Hard to believe that it is the same cut that gives you pulled pork. Some of the cuts had the bone in it--you know, the one that looks like an airplane. Really, really good stuff and you can get it in less than the 18 hours it takes to do the whole roast.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Jeffersonian,

Done it a couple of times before. It's a lot of fun but I can't remember the bars name..go figure

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Glad I can make you laugh! Yea we did the Zoo after the hostage stand off in your home town. You know me and animals. Was a very good zoo they had down there. Had spent alittle two much time at Pat O Brians in the river districe the night before. The bar maid thought a biker from Ark. in San Antonio was cool and kept funnling the drinks she screwed up to me and wife. The zoo was easy day and just what the Dr. ordered to cure the virus I had the next day! :blink:
  • Little Steven
    Options
    It's pretty good stuff. We never saw anything like this in Canada. I was introduced to pork steak in Gerald MO. The guys I was with couldn't believe a little guy like me could eat so much.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I haven't done pork steaks like those in a long long time.

I've done country style ribs a few times, but those steaks look terrific. Might put them on the calendar for next weekend.

Very Nice!
  • Beanie-Bean
    Options
    I think the cook time at 250 was about 4 hrs, with 30 minutes at 275 for the sauce at the end. Just kept an eye on it and kept rotating the steaks so that they wouldn't get overdone one one side or another. They were not too expensive at the grocery store, and made for a nice dinner.