Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mr. Toad's Pork Loin Cook Time

Options
GangGreen
GangGreen Posts: 32
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just prep a 2 lb pork loin mr. toad style. How long do you think it will take at 350 degrees. Whoa....it looks like it is going to be sweet! :woohoo:

Comments

• Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    I'd give it 45 minutes to an hour. Cook by internal temperature and pull around 160 or so..I've had good results at that pull temp.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Sound like from the weight that you are doing a tenderloin. He has a few, stuffed and not?? What are you doing? I would pull meat around 135-140F to much higher dries it out IMHO.
  • GangGreen
    Options
    Its a large loin that we divided up into 3 pieces. It weighs a little over 2 lbs. I cut in half and made the Mr. Toad sandwich with fig preserves, dried apples, cashews, apricots and then closed it and wrapped it in bacon.
  • Richard Fl
    Options
    I would pull around 135-140 it will come up 5-7 degrees. 350 indirect figure an hour.

Pork, Loin, Stuffed, Richard Fl

INGREDIENTS:
    1 3-5 Lbs Pork Loin, Butterflied
    1/4 Lb Capicola, Thinly sliced
    1/3 Cup Cottage Cheese or Ricotta
    1 Pkg Spinach, Fresh
    1/3 Cup Mozzarella, Shredded
    1/4 Cup Pignole nuts, pine nuts
    3-4 Slices Bacon, Uncooked, cut in half
    1/3 Cup Mango Chutney
    EVOO
    Rub
    1 Tbs Garlic Powder
    1 Tbs Black Pepper, Fresh ground
    1 Tbs Favorite Pork Rub
    Butcher Twine
    Time & Temp Line:
    3:45 PM 250°F DOME 68°F
    4:20 PM 275°F DOME 88°F
    4:45 PM 300°F DOME 103°F
    5:30 PM 300°F DOME 140°F

Preparation:
    1 Take the pork loin and butterfly it. Take the spinach and sauté with EVOO until limp.
    2 Lay 4-5 lengths of butcher twine on a flat surface and coat the exterior of the loin with olive oil and a rub of your choice.,
    3 Layer: capicola, spinach, cottage cheese or ricotta, pignole nuts, shredded mozzarella & mango chutney.
    4 Roll up and tie the twine, Place in a "V" rack with the open section up. Cover with bacon slices.
    Cooking
    1 Used large BGE set up indirect. 2-3 pieces apple or guava wood for smoke. Had earlier in the day cooked BB ribs @250°F so started the loin at 250°F and slowly brought it up to 300°F. Total cooking time 1 hour and 45 minutes. Let rest for 30 minutes Don't forget to remove the twine. Removed from BGE when internal temperature reached 140°F. Had a few chicken pieces so they went along for the ride. Pulled them 1 hour 15 minutes.

Servings: 6
    Preparation time: 15 minutes
    Cooking time: 1 hour and 45 minutes
    Ready in: 2 hours and 15 minutes

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2007/07/01

If I were going to be doing one from the start would get the BGE to 300-325F and the cooking time should be closer to 1- 1 1/2 hours for a loin this size.

07/15/07--Someone on the forum mentioned that Mr Toad started the stuffed loin many years ago. Thank you SIR!. He cut a loin into thirds horizontallly and I think I will try the sliced into thirds and pounded a bit next time.

2008/01/29 Richard Fl: Small BGE indirect @350F. Made a #4 Loin tonight, butterflyed like a jelly roll. , added 4 Tbs Bacon Bits and a couple of tablespoons of Zaater (MidEast spice blend) to the mix along with cottage cheese instead of ricotta. Nice change. store was out of capicola, so used sliced baked ham.
  • GangGreen
    Options
    Thanks for the help. I will check it at an hour. I should have written down how large the original loin was. This may be bigger than 2 lbs and could take longer. Just had an envious/ curious neighbor over on the deck. Smelled it around the block. :evil:
  • Richard Fl
    Options
    Charge the neighbor catering fees!