Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tonights sacrifice: \"Moose\" brisket & yardbird

Options
JLOCKHART29
JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well I went to my butcher yesterday and got a 8 1/2 lb cryowrapped brisket to burn all night. Brisket is the only thing he has in that awfull stuff but can' find a fresh one any where in town. Started snowing on the way to shop and by the time I got home it was comming down. Got my stakes unwrapped for last nights cook and then cut open the brisket. Wow that old gass smell that they use to preserve the brisket in those wraps must have gottten a double shot. My wife wasn't about to eat it so back to the butcher I go. Waited till the store was empty before I told him about it. Cut the brisket open and no smell and said it was fine. Grabbed another big 'un off the shelf and unwrapped it and let me smell was MUCH better. Shrink wrapped it andhanded it to me. Said he appreciated my business and get before I got snowed in. I really dont know how big this thing is as the wt. sticker was on original wrap but I weighed it on bathroom scales and said 16 lbs. Don't know if thats exact as seems a bit much but it filled up my Medium Egg double stacked. OK enough about how I ended up with this monster. The Burn: Got to looking threw all my bookmarks on brisket and sean Thirdeye's site looked interesting with his rub and mention of injecting with beef broth and such. Spending so much time in La. I love strong, bold flavors and rubs on thick chunks of meat just don't do it for me BUT what if I turned Thirdeye's rub into an inject? Hummmm This is not from his web site exact but based loosley on the ingrediants. Took food processer and added: 2 TEASPOONS (TSP) onion powder, 1/2 TSP ground bay leaf, 2 TSP garlic powder, 1 TBS ground red pepper, 2 1/2 TSP salt, 1 "glog" EVOO, 4 "glogs" woustershire sause and 2/3 can beef broth. Process well and made the brisket look like a herion junkey before I got threw sticking it. Dumped the rest of broth in 3 gal. ziplick with the brisket and set out in the snow for 5 hrs while Trexing stake. Had to cut flat and point apart and place on to differant grids. Flat on bottom point on top. Indirect w/platsetter and drip pan fat cap up. Got her on at 22:00 yesterday using the "Q" set at 255 pit temp and 190 food temp in the flat. Also stuck a analog meat thermometer threw the dome vent into the point so could keep track of it. Covered the fat cap with miced garlic, peppricia and Tony's creole seasoning. Stashed presimmon chunks all in my lump so fire would find a fresh one every couple hrs. Checked b4 bed at 23:30 and slept till 10:15 this morning. Brisket was 168 degrees and "Q" had started ramping down to 248 pit. Got to love it. Took off ramp set at 265 pit to finnish this thing as got Fredia the yard bird waiting to take the "moose brisket's" place on the alter. After 18 pluse hrs the flat was 190 degrees and point 182. Running out of time pulled both as Fredia was waiting! Flat was good but dry. Needed to pull at 185 0r less.Point Outside 1 2/3 inch was GREAT but inside still alittle tough. Cook to 190 pluse next time. On with Fredia soaked in lime juice with my bird rub (recipe on request) shoved under skin. 300 degrees indirect for about 2 hrs to breast temp of 165. Eggcellant!!! Alittle no-knead cheese bread, home made mash potatoes, green beans and chocolet nut cake and we eat like kings!! Hope you enjoy pics as much as we enjoyed eating it!! Egg has been burning for over 30 hrs except for clean out. Smoke bird is put up and lights are out at "DP's Smoke Shack and Lounge!!! B)LastwkFEB08144-1.jpgFIRSTMARCHFOOD002.jpgFIRSTMARCHFOOD011.jpgFIRSTMARCHFOOD010.jpgFIRSTMARCHFOOD012.jpgFIRSTMARCHFOOD013.jpgFIRSTMARCHFOOD014.jpgFIRSTMARCHFOOD003.jpg

Comments

• NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    That snowman at the end kills me! :lol:
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    Congrats on a wonderful cook!

This isn't a complaint... a suggestion!

Please hit the enter key twice every-so-often... I'm goin' blind trying to read your text. Paragraphs breaks would help.

Thanks!

I love your picto-journals!

~ Broc
  • JLOCKHART29
    Options
    OK Just for you!! I'm still trying to get the pics lined up and figure out wide/narrow view but will hit "enter" and see what happens!! :pinch:
  • JLOCKHART29
    Options
    After 18 hrs watching meat cook the mind wonders! :blink:
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    And anytime I encounter your picto-journals, I'll slow down and read 'em!

~ Broc!

Brk! Brrk! Brk! Braaaaawwwwwk!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • JLOCKHART29
    Options
    Hay partner just me glad I have figured out the "cap" button. I used to use all caps till I got tired of taking a cussing over on my Harley Tech forms! :laugh:
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Hey JL,

Very interesting read, and I'm glad that things turned out well. All the food looks and sounds great, man. I'm pretty excited about using the ramp mode and the meat temp probe with the Q. The only times I've used it was to test different configurations while doing ribs, so I never used the meat probe, only the pit probe. Got lots of lump and about 14 lbs worth of pork butt from Sam's to do this weekend. What's really nice is that the kids are on spring break this week, so I'm taking vacation along with them. No work for me this week!

I haven't done any breads or brisket on the eggs yet, so maybe I'll give that a try.
  • TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    Options
    Jl:

How long did your medium go before needing more lump? As always nice lookng cooks. It looks like this you southern boys got more snow than this yankee. We only got 1 inch all winter.
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    GREAT lookin cook and pix JL!..how was the moose?...and dont say it tasted like chicken!! :silly: never had any myself but would imagine it's pretty good stuff...
  • BamaBackdraft
    Options
    JL always look forward to seeing your cooks and pics. I've yet to jump off in a brisket or butt cook yet as I still learning the manual temp control. Saving up for the Digi but figured I need to do it manually first. Keep up the good work!
  • JLOCKHART29
    Options
    Ramp mode works like a charm. Have had it ramp a lot on butts as they cook quicker and temps raise faster on them than brisket. You puling or slicing the butt? Pulled pork is simple 265 pit on ramp and 190 meat. Generally pull at 193 or so. Enjoy your vacation. You staying home or going somewhere?
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Hehe...I'm a bit worried about cooking the pork butt that high, JL--I normally set the pit up for a 250 deg cook and pull between 195-200 and let the roasts sit in a cooler all foiled up for at least 30 minutes to an hour before serving. At those temps, the roasts generally take about 18 hours to finish. Do you bump the temp up to finish them faster? Or is that the ideal temp for your low-and-slows? At 250 dome, I'm usually looking at around 225 on the grid (I use an oven thermometer to measure the grid temp--the kind that looks like a metal hockey puck)

Yeah...no work for me, just some work that "The Boss" will find for me to do while I'm at home. The kids are dying to go somewhere like Six Flags, but the weather has been a bit crazy here in TX. Maybe I'll take 'em south to San Antonio where it doesn't snow. We were going to go to Dallas for the rides up there, but I saw some weather reports on the news that it was snowing pretty bad up there. Still undecided at this point.
  • Cory430
    Cory430 Posts: 1,073
    Options
    Great post and pics! I always look forward to your "sacrifices"!
  • JLOCKHART29
    Options
    19 hours at around 260 adverage. Ramped down some and I set it up to 270 for last part of brisket. After the brisket I stired the coals down and added a little more lump for "Fredia" the yard bird. Would have probably made it but why chance it. Snow gone now and a sloppy mess!
  • JLOCKHART29
    Options
    ok Eggtucky I'll bite. You do realize this is a cow brisket. I called it a "moose" brisket for the size. How ever with me it could have as easley been a real moose. If some one wants to donate I'm game!! :woohoo:
  • JLOCKHART29
    Options
    I love the "Q" but I agree learn your Egg first. I still do not trust myself to go more than 3 or so hrs with out quick check al la natural. Working shift work I got to get my sleep caught up when I can get it and it takes me alot. "Q" lets me do both. :whistle:
  • JLOCKHART29
    Options
    I normally kick the temp up to about 265 or 270 at the end just to hurry things alone but that is after 10 0r 12 hrs at 260ish. The thing about pulled pork is its a lot like no-knead bread. You can screw it up but you got to try! :lol: Normally I use the "Q" on ramp mode and it will be down to about 235 or so when I get up so makeing up for "lost time"
    I'm sure my phone a friend Jeffersonian can explain it better as he knows all that fancy tech stuff but Fred at BBQ Guru told me it takes a certain temp differential to force the heat into the meat. There is a breaking point at all desired meat temps. If your pit is 220 and you want your meat at 195 it will take forever to reach it. However add another 10 or so degrees and it will reach set point MUCH quicker. More so than the 10 degrees or so would lead you to think. I'm not quoting exact numbers just principals so when "Q" ramped down it was basically in hold mode. Does any of this make sense? :blink:
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    hahaha!...yeah..I saw the "moose" but thought..wth..he may REALLY be eatin a moose! :laugh: :laugh:
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    JL, I don't think there's anyone here who gets more absolute joy out of his Egg than you do. It's a pleasure to read your posts and view your pics. A nice tale and good photos, as usual.
  • JLOCKHART29
    Options
    Thanks my phone-a-friend!! Your right. I get the biggest kick out of my Harley, horse and Egg. All three relaxing and liberating.