Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Philly Cheese Steaks Easy

Options
FlaPoolman
FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Started with 2 1/2 pound top sirloin rubbed and cooked direct to 100 internal. Placed in freezer for 2 hours before running thru the slicer. Then sealed with 1/4 cup of chicken broth and back in the fridge for 1 more day. Precooked some onions & mushrooms in EVOO. Cheated on the last part as the winds were high but real easy egged or stovetop. Start the onions & mushrooms in a pan for about 2 min. then the meat for another min. at high heat. Add 3 slices of provolone per sandwich (for a twist that I really like add a little ketchup while still cooking as thats how we used to have them as a kid last year :silly: :whistle: ) Toast the roll for less messy or just enjoy. Here's a pic. tour of a really easy cook.

The round roast

100_1639.jpg

Sliced

100_1651.jpg

Dinner the night we browned the roast

Wife's Pizza

100_1640.jpg

Mine :huh:

100_1643.jpg

Onions & mushroons (about the 5'th sub mark)

100_1653.jpg

2 Subs ready for final cheese (3 slices under the meat)

100_1654.jpg

Ready to eat

100_1655.jpg

If you havent tried the ketchup yet during the cook you need to. Not for everyone but reminds me of the one's I had in the 60's

Pat

Comments

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    The steak and cheese look great but its not exactly a Philly cheese steak . . .

Although I grew up near Philly, I much preferred the steak and cheese (lettuce, mayo, tomato, fried onions, lots of hot peppers) that I had in college while in Baltimore in the 60s. Those sometimes had real meat in them even if it was cheap and tenderized. The Philly variety is usually minute steaks shards and liquid cheese (think Cheese Whiz!) and are basically artery cloggers. Your version looks terrific!
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    Those look awesome Pat!..hard to beat a good philly cheese sammich!! ;) :silly: :woohoo:
  • FlaPoolman
    Options
    My mom's cousin owns John's roast Pork at 2'nd & snyder est. 1931. would love to have their recipe as they own the award since Pat's & Gino's went commercial but that will never happen. As a kid in South Philly If you asked for anything other than onions, mushrooms or peppers (usually hot) you were pegged as a tourist. Most offered condiment as strange as it may sound was ketchup. Remember many a trip to Pat's before they went tourist, but if you were there in the 60's, in south philly then you know. Never fake beef as that's the secret that as a so called insider even I can't get the spice recipe. Google John's Roast Pork. That's as close to the 50's / 60's as you can get.
  • FlaPoolman
    Options
    Thanks buddy. This is as close as I've come to the old school yet. Wife & neighbors loved them but dog is pissed cause there's no waste. :( . easy cook you gotta try it.
    Thanks Pat
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    man that looks good i will have to try that ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    I cheat --

I slow roast [325F] Tri-tip... slice it as thin as possible...

Yepperoo, Hop-a-long -- add the onions, roasted green pepper, mushrooms, Provolone...

I just love Tri-Tip so much... show it off as much as possible.

Your's looks great! Closer to the real stuff than mine --

~ Broc
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Pat, Philly sandwitch is my favorite thing to order when I go to some place like "Chiles" chain resturant. Must try. What is that wrapped around sirloin? You know you could drop a scrap for Buddy from time to time! :woohoo:
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Pat,

That looks like something to try and enjoy! Gotta ask about the netting from the first pic--what is it?
  • FlaPoolman
    Options
    BB & JL,, don't know the reason for the net but did not want to cut it off till after cooking. It was under 3 pounds so I thought it might have been pieces (not the case). Just looked so lonely next to the big boys I had to buy it & figure something out to cook. Cheese steaks worked out great. Buddy did get the end pieces B)B) .
    Thanks
    Pat
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    You know the Philly cheese steak is good when you can feel your arteries clogging just looking at the pics. Beautiful job, FPM.
  • Large Marge
    Large Marge Posts: 404
    Options
    Nice lookin sandwiches (and pizzas by the way). I was curious what is the right beef to use to make it authentic?

Was looking through a Jeff Smith cookbook (Frugal Gourmet loved to go to cities and figure out how the locals ate their favorites), and Smith always went to Geno's. He's suggesting boneless beef ribeye sliced thinly. Is that the right meat? Just curious, and interested how you would prepare on the BGE- any seasoning or just cook it rare enough to saute with all the good stuff?

(Chicagoan here so I'm naive on this sandwich but very interested-- Marge)
  • FlaPoolman
    Options
    I use top round most of the time but remember as a kid (a long time ago) my mom would send me to the local deli for chipped beef sliced thin. They all had a dedicated slicer for raw meat but not sure what cut it was. Grandmother would do the same but with a note because the owner only spoke Italian. Still think the key is the rolls which you cant get here in Fla.
    Once a year I have my uncle overnight a bunch of rolls & soft pretzels :woohoo: :woohoo: .
    Hope this helps
    Pat
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    You might be interested in this Washington Post travel section article from today. Its at http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/03/07/AR2008030701372.html