Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Momma wanted meat pies intstead of pizza tonight

Options
Pork Butt Mike
Pork Butt Mike Posts: 2,584
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This has been allways a treat in our family. Little something different.

100_0672.jpg

Meat Pies

2 to 3 pounds of London briol or Skirt Steak cooked on the egg (rare)

2 sweet onions
1/2 cup of pine nuts (toasted) don't over cook them.
Fresh lemmon juice of 2 lemons
Sea Salt & Ground Pepper to taste.

Cook onions till transparent and add pine nuts and lemon juice, salt and pepper and your cooked beef. Simmer for around 15 min or so. Roll out dough into 6 inch circles. Add around 1/3 cup of the filling on each circle, moisten edges of dough and bring up the sides and seal good. If you bring up three sides then it will look like a triangle. Bake in oven or egg at 400 degrees, for around 20 to 25 minutes untill golden bronw. Serve hot or cold. Enjoy.

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Very nice! -RP
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    man that looks good!!!! ;) i will have to try how many "batches" did you have to do?

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Sounds great. I've saved that one to a word file.

As a kid I loved watching Robin Hood movies. There is one classic one that I used to see colorized with a friar that was always eating these meat pies. I always wondered what kind of food they cooked in the middle ages.

I'd say your version is not historic but you made some synapses fire tonight. :blink:
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    I've made Calzones like this only once and they were great -- my dough was a little thick, as I didn't roll it out enough...

...but

...next time!

Thanks for posting!

~ Broc
    B)
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Options
    Broc I am not trying to tell you how to make your dough. But when making pizza dough you should not roll it out. It should be done by hand. By rolling it out it makes the dough tough and you’re compressing it. Also I let the dough set for two days in the frig, in a ball with a little olive oil for coating. I have good results this way and a high protein floor means a big difference. Good Luck

For the meat pies you have to roll it out, but you’re looking for a different texture with meat pies then pizza.
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Options
    Great movie Robin Hood (classic) I know that my family brought this recipe over from Italy four generations ago. I have made these with chicken and ground beef also. But I like skirt steak the best. Like pizza its all in the dough what makes this taste so good. Good luck
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Options
    With that cook I think we ended up with 14 pies, but I could be wrong my 24 year old came home and swiped some before I could count them. Man that kid can eat. Yes he is still a kid to me. I am just old. LOL
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Those look nice, like empanadas of sorts. Really good idea, Mike.
  • RU Eggsperienced
    Options
    PBM

Looks fantastic!! I am going to try those.

Cheers....JerryD
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    That looks great. I enjoy the pine nuts and I toast them up for rice pilaf and stuffing.
    You got me hungry for meat pies. :cheer:
    Clay
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    Man that looks good Mike! I bet one would taste extra good leftover for breakfast....kinda like right now ;)

We have a cheeseburger turnover recipe that I loved as a kid and I had not even thought about trying them on the egg! You know what this forum needs? A button to flag a post for future reference so we could each create our own little "try this" list!

Thanks for sharing.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • dhuffjr
    Options
    How do you make the dough?
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Options
    I use a food prosser to make my dough. First I add the water, yeast, sugar, salt, and oil. Let sit for about 5 min in food prosser, then start adding the flour.

1/2 teaspoon dry yeast
    1 cup of water (spring water) I use.
    1 teaspoon sugar
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon oil

Flour between 3 to 3 1/2 cups

Once the dough reachs into a ball in processor it's done. Then take the dough form into a ball and lightly coat with olive oil. Put into a zip lock bag and store in frig for tow days. It will last up to a week. But you need to store in frig for two days atleast because it has to slow rise. Take out one hour before you use. If making pizza pie do not use a rolling pin, form pizza dough with hands. When rolling it out in compresses it. Good Luck.

For best dough use a high protein flour. King Arthurs bread dough will work also.
  • dhuffjr
    Options