Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Salmon done Easy

Options
Fidel
Fidel Posts: 10,172
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I decided to try a new twist on salmon. These were boneless and skinless fillets, about 8-9 ounces each. I rubbed with EVOO then dusted with DP Raging River on one side, Shakin the Tree on the other.

OntheMini2.jpg

Cooked direct on the mini at 325, flipping only once. After the flip I drizzled each piece with a 1:1:1:1 mix of honey, maple syrup, lemon juice, and bourbon. Then topped with two thin lemon slices and finished to 135 internal. Turned out nice and tender inside with just a hint of a sweet crunch on the outside. Definitely an easy cook, and one I will do again.

Done2.jpg

Comments

• Marc  from IL
    Options
    Fidel, How long for the cook time?
    Marc
  • Fidel
    Options
    Sorry, cooked about 15 minutes total. I think cooking to temp is much more important with fish. I pulled these at 135 and let them rest for just a few minutes before we hacked into them.

In the finished pic you can see the proteins seeping through the outer layer. This is a good sign that I use to take the temps. When you see the proteins the fish is typically real close to being done.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Looking pretty dang good.

Mike
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    VERY nice looking Fidel..I LOVE salmon on the egg and really like your combination of spices and sauces especially the use of bourbon which is great with salmon..just remember..'Drink the best...Cook with the rest!' ... :woohoo: :woohoo:
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    I've missed your posts and pics, Fidel. Looks delicious.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Those look great Fidel. No offense but I won't show the wife the pic's cause they look much better than mine :( . I make salmon for her often but those look mighty good. If she see's your pic's you might have to set 2 more places at your table :woohoo: :laugh: :whistle:

Nice Job
    Pat
  • ILL--EGGER
    ILL--EGGER Posts: 478
    Options
    That looks fantastic!
  • Fidel
    Options
    I appreciate the compliment, but everything I know about food photography I learned from paying attention to a few of the incredible photographers here. I learned a lot about focus, depth of field, and angles from photos posted to this forum.

A good camera and tripod go a long way. Also, take a lot of pictures to get 2-3 good ones. Digital pictures are free.....thank goodness. I must have taken 20 to get a few usable ones tonight and the natural light (the sun, not beer)was cooperating for a change.

That being said, we're practically neighbors, so come on up and eat sometime.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    As posted earlier. Be careful what you say LOL :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Thanks
    Pat
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    that looks great ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb