Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

how big

Options
omahaegger
omahaegger Posts: 35
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
First off, I'm sorry if this question can be answered via search, but I'm currently woring and browsing the forums on my Moto Q, so searching is very cumbersome......But anyway, is there a guideline as too how much uncooked brisket or butt per serving for people, like say I'm trying to feed 12 people, how much brisket should I buy. Thanks in advance for the help.

Comments

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    With it's higher fat content, a butt will probably shrink a lot more than a brisket. I think the figure is about a 20% loss of total weight. I Egged a 4#, boneless butt the other day and it seems to be lasting forever! Grant it, I bought it at a local, gourmet butcher shop and paid over $3/lb. Using Elder Ward's rub recipe (TNW web site), it was by far the best butt I've cooked. I would think if you bought a piece in the 8# range, you'd have enough for 12 people with some leftovers for your fridge/freezer. Just make sure not to buy a brand (like Smithfield) that is injected with a water/saline solution! All that does is increase the shelf life (more $ for them & less taste for you) of the meat and lower it to the level of a soup kitchen. Good luck with your endeavors!

Rascal
  • Buster Dog BBQ
    Buster Dog BBQ Posts: 1,366
    Options
    12 people - any kids, how many men vs women? You could do 2 butts over a packer brisket which would be plenty of food.
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    Don't forget to invite Casey, me... our wives...

Hmmmmm.... You're up to 16...

Then there's Dawg, CraPaw...

Get a Big-'Un!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    2 8lb brisket flats should yeild you plenty of food. With sides and everything else.
    Slice thin. Stacks better.

73brisket3.jpg

Mike
  • omahaegger
    Options
    I had my wife do an official count and its gonna be 10-11 adults and like 8-9 kids,

we just had a party with 8 adults and 2 large/old kids and I did a 12.2 lbs packer and like 1.5 lbs of polish sausage, and we had a little left over. So maybe a 12-13 lbs packer and a butt?? I havent cooked a butt yet, but I am this weekend.

How big is an average size butt, pork that is, not human ;)
  • Nessmuk
    Nessmuk Posts: 251
    Options
    Looks like a perfect "10" in any KCBBS Contest.