Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

If 'why' interests you as much as 'how'...

Options
Cat
Cat Posts: 556
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
...you need "I'm Just Here For the Food," by my hero Alton Brown. Put it on the shelf next to Shirley Corriher's "CookWise," Harold McGee's "On Food and Cooking," and Russ Parsons' "How to Read a French Fry." I'll be opening Alton's book more often than the others, great as they are. [p]If you watch his Food Network show, you know Alton is a master at explaining food science in simple, witty, practical ways. The book does the same: e.g., Lucy & Ethel at the candy conveyer belt serve to illustrate the importance of convection in cooking. [p]Each chapter tackles a technique - roasting, frying, braising, etc. - and includes a few recipes. But Alton figures if you know *why* something works, you'll be able to improvise intelligently with whatever looks best at the market. [p]So, if you enjoy knowing how stuff works, and prefer not to make things up, get this book. It's smart, fun and useful.[p]The usual disclaimer: I have no connection with Alton Brown, except that his lawyer is also my friend Ed's lawyer, and no financial interest in his book.