Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

smoked mozzarella pizza...

Options
stike
stike Posts: 15,597
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
no. i didn't smoke the mozz. should have. it was EIGHT BUCKS if i remember correctly.
bought it to have before dinner last week, but didn't eat it. making pizzas last night, my wife suggested the smoked mozzarella. i didn't have the heart to tell her how much it cost, and just nodded, and sliced it thin.

it melted beautifully. nice hint of smoke. went about 650 or so. wheat dough, which gave a nice snap to it when biting. bought pre-made dough...

smokedmozzarella.jpg

we had what felt like a squall, but it lasted all night, giving us three more inches of snow, eventually. absolute powder snow. i love how it sifts into the cracks in the brick and the wind sweeps the rest away.

snowsquall.jpg

i have neighbors on each side, 25 feet away (50 foot wide yard). they can plainly see me going out at night (was about 9:30), lighting the egg, tending the cook, etc. in that horizontal snow (good blow, maybe 30 mph at times). i can only imagine what they think.

once, a neighbor asked (as i cooked chorico for lunch), "isn't that an awful lot of trouble to go to for just two hotdogs?" i conceded that it was some effort, but not a lot, and that there really MUST have been a reason a guy would cook them they way i did... there was. best frikkin hotdog you'd ever have. maybe next time i'll bring him some pizza.
ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Yeah, that was cool.
    On Tuesday I went out on the screen porch and sat in the rocker (with a glass of port) just watching the snowflakes the size of potato chips come down. Eventually I got cold and continued for awhile in the living room looking out the window.

This morning I went out early and shoveled a little and the snow that came after was so light and fluffy it was like a layer of clean white dustbunnies(Meghan's home sick and it's my turn)

I may just fire up the Egg for lunch... I promised them dogs on the Egg for supper, but I believe I could make myself some Chicken cordon bleu for lunch!
  • stike
    Options
    was gonna invite you over for dogs. i only got two, and you've got a sick kiddo to tend to, too.

listen to you, with the port. mr, fancy!
    hey
    got some lilac wood if you want it. a whole bunch. dunno nuthin about it, but i might try it with the grapevine on the lamb at easter.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    That lilac sounds good, I'd like to try it. Might be able to swing by on Sunday, are you guys around?
    That grapevine is awesome smelling stuff! I still have a little left- at least enough for one roast. Now you got me thinkin' and salivatin'
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    That´s some inclement weather......It must be love......for the Egg :laugh: but I agree the results are worth the "sacrifice". Happy eggi´n.
  • Boatman
    Boatman Posts: 854
    Options
    I smoked 2 lbs of mozzerella and 8 lbs of extra sharp cheddar last week. Had some of the mozzerella with olive oil and no knead bread as a appitizer before T-Rex steaks....great meal. I think I'll use the leftover mozzerella for a nice pizza like yours. Thanks for the idea! ;)
  • stike
    Options
    your weather is looking pretty damn clement, from what i see.

i'm very jealous.
  • stike
    Options
    you cold smoke the cheese?
    gotta do that myself.....
  • stike
    Options
    should be around. if not. it's in a big brown paper "lawn bag" against the house, out by the egg. they were going to put it by the curb for recycling, and i grabbed it.
  • Boatman
    Boatman Posts: 854
    Options
    Yup, just put a small amount of lump in the bottom of the clean egg, put plenty of hickory on top, lit 'er up and let it smoke like heck for about 1 1/2 hrs...keeping the temp around 100 dome. Love it.
    IMG_0899.jpg
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    haha..yeah..let em taste some o the food...then they'll be watching to see WHEN you're done!! B)
  • BamaFan
    BamaFan Posts: 658
    Options
    As a new egger my wife has been on me to cook a pizza. This looks great. Is there a recipe or just kitchen sink and mozz?
  • stike
    Options
    well... there WAS a secret recipe. until you GUESSED it.

nuthin but kitchen sink and mozz. you are correct. this had a TON (i mean, four cloves) of garlic. we love garlic.

but almost had to crack the windows here today cuzzuv it.
  • stike
    Options
    that's the truth....

suddenly they both come out their side doors as the same time. "oh, just taking the trash out, stike. whatchoo cookin there?"

can see it now.