Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

After church sacrifice: Stuffed whole breast

Options
JLOCKHART29
JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok gents and ladies. In case you have not been keeping up this is 6 burns in 7 days. Ribs, fish, 16 lbs pulled pork, more ribs, and today I did stuffed whole chicken breast bone in after church for my parents. After I got them gone and cleaned up the wife asked what I was cooking tonight. Just gave her one of those looks that the women normaly give us when we ask that question! :laugh: Told her the Smoke Shack was closed. Lounge is open but Shack is closed. Got to work days 4-4 next two so will let the alter cool down till Wendsday. Ok hear is the cook. Had my butcher cut me 6 young yard bird breast whole leaving the bone in. Last night I cut pockets in each side of the breast. Next I made a stuffing of saltae onion, sundryed tomatos and mushrooms. After vegs well soft added enough caned bread crumbs to thicked and a small amount shreaded cheese. The cheese was the only thing bad for you and went very light on it. Next stuffed the pockets with the mix. ,placed the breast in tray and dusted with garlic pepper seasoning and then sprinkeled with fresh miced garlic from my garlic press. 4 laarge cloves and covered with cling wrap for the night. After church fired up the Egg with "Q" set on 310 pit and 165 meat and went in and visited. 20 min. later pit stable, toss in some presimmon chunks and put breast on indirect using platesetter. Cooked till 165 AT THE COLDEST PART OF THE BREAST hich was about 1 hr and 20 min. Alittle No Knead bread, asparagass, baked potato. Yea my 70 year old Mom was happy. Dad ate it but considers that foo foo food. Doesn't like spice or anything different. He would much reather have them gass grilled w/o any rubs or anything. Just meat and potatos straight up! O well. A little culture is good for him! ;)LastwkFEB08032.jpgLastwkFEB08033.jpgLastwkFEB08034.jpgLastwkFEB08036.jpg

Comments

• Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Hey JL,

Great foo foo food ya got there in the pics ;) I think that your Dad enjoyed it, and was just not letting you know. What does the persimmon taste like? Is it closer to hickory, mesquite, oak, or apple? Those are pretty much all the woods I use on a regular basis.
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    dude..those look delicious!...golden brown..nice!..I know bout the 'ol man thing..little while back I had the butcher I use to make some fresh sausage..this stuff was mouth watering.. made some for the 'ol man' and he said 'doesnt have enough fat..too lean'!!...oh well.. old school is old school... :whistle:
  • JLOCKHART29
    Options
    Sort of like a very mild hickory with a touch of sweetness. Take one chunk hickory and 2 chunks apple and toss it in togeather gives an idea but the hickory is not as strong.
  • Never Summer
    Options
    It's great how you share all your cooks! I really enjoy your pics.

I was wondering about the persimmon, too. I've never seen it available.

You even have me thinking it would be fun to get a parrot!

Patty
  • TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    Options
    Nice looking cook! Your egg is one hard workin grill. Mine is lonely, I've got my first tri tip for Tuesday. Tonight we go vegan in the oven, curried chick pea pot pie with Millet. My better half is cooking. It smells good.
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    That is some tasty lookin chicken.Good work dude :)
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I'm going to pick up some next time I go to the BBQ dealer for some more lump. I'm down to my last three bags!
  • BamaBackdraft
    Options
    Love looking forward to your cook photos and recipes. You inspire me to be more adventurous with my cooks. Do you bt the different woods or go out and cut then yourself?
  • JLOCKHART29
    Options
    The local Egg dealer had it in chip form that he threw in free when I got my Egg. I'm not a real fan of chip but I got them on my land. Also got oak, hickory, peach, muskedine, sasafrass. Hear is a pic of a log of presimmon as well as the chip bag. LastwkFEB08037.jpgNEW08143.jpg
  • JLOCKHART29
    Options
    Patty, Don't know if you will see this buryed so far down now but give a LOT of thought to a parrot. I have had Jake for over 20 years. They live a long time and are a long term comment. The have the smarts of a 2 year old kid and a whole lot more moble. They will chew, destroy and get in to anything and everything. They can be house broke, taught to go to there pen, come, set, ect. They thank and will drive you mad if you let them. :blink: We do not have children so our pets are our "kids". Jake sleeps during the day under my wife's hair during the day and grooms both of us. Just do a lot of thanking b4 you get one. If you understand and can give the attention needed get one but remember they take as much time as a small child or they will pluck and destroy there selfs.