Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking a 3 lb sirloin tip roast?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My inlaws are coming over for dinner tomorrow. I have a 3 lb sirloin black angus tip roast thawing out. I would like to cook it on the Egg but am not sure how. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Do I use a roasting pan, indirect or what?

Comments

• BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    That is kind of an open question, because there are lots of things you could do. A sirloin is a nice cut, so I am going to go with the thought that you want to cook it rare to med rare and no more than medium.

That being the case, you can season it with a steak rub or just S&P or coat it with mustard, or make a paste with garic, EVOO, fresh chopped rosemary and S&P or about anything else that you can think of.

You could T-Rex it like a big steak, reverse T-Rex, or just cook at about 350-375 to the desired internal temp. If it was me, I would go with a raised grid, direct, at 350-375, just because it is drop dead simple. Good too.
  • Thanks. I wasn't sure if should cook it direct or indirect, in a pan or just det on grate. I just don't want ti to be dried out.
    Thanks for your input. I think it will be simpler than I am thinking it will be.
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    Certainly no harm from cooking it indirect, but you will not dry it out unless you cook it too long. Stay in touch with your cook and pull it at 10 degrees below your target temp and let it rest 15-20 minutes while everything else gets ready.

It will be great.
  • Thanks..
    I'll give it a try. What internal temp do you think i should target?
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    125F for me, plus resing [carry over] time.

For my wife -- 145F...

She like to know hers won't sneak away when we're not looking.

:laugh: