Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Advantages of a grid lifter -- high heat, no burning

Prof Dan
Prof Dan Posts: 339
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Following up on some tips posted earlier, I built a grid lifter to raise the cooking surface to about the level of the top edge of the bottom half of the Egg. Worked great -- I cooked salmon filet at 400 with a fair amount of wood on the fire, plenty of smoke, but no charring or sticking of the salmon on the grid. This should help for spatchcocked chicken, too, which tends to flare up sometimes.[p]The grid lifter is pretty simple -- it's made out of bolted-together perforated angle iron. From above, it looks exactly like a capital "H." On each of the four ends of the H, I bolted a small foot, also of the same material. The four feet stand on the fire ring, and the grid rests on top of the H. It's very stable.[p]Even though I'm a fan of low and slow cooking for some things, I'm finding that fast and high can sometimes give me better results, especially with fish filets. So lifting the grid is a big help.

Comments

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Prof Dan,[p]Is there any way you could post us a picture of your invention. I for one would like very much to see the real thing. Sounds like a great idea.[p]

• Prof Dan
    Prof Dan Posts: 339
    Bob,[p]Unfortunately, I don't have any way to post pictures. Maybe it's not unfortunate, though -- this home-made thing is not pretty. Just scrap iron, bolted together. But it does the job.[p]I forgot to add the dimensions -- each leg of the H is a little less than 18 inches long, and the legs are about 8 inches apart. The depth [from the top surface of the H to the bottom of the feet] is about 4 inches, so that the grid is elevated from the top of the fire ring up to the top edge of the bottom half of the Egg.