Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

new toy test

Options
char buddy
char buddy Posts: 562
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just tried Mickeyt's temp rings for the first time and got a mixed verdict. I did a hot smoked salmon and I wanted to keep the temp at 250º or lower for two to three hours. I started a full box of lump with a single fire starter cube on top and after 15 minutes or so I got to 220º with the lower vent wide open and no top on the chimney. I closed the vent to an inch and put on a number 5 ring. After another 15 minutes my temp rose to 300+. I closed the lower vent to a quarter inch and put on a smaller ring (maybe a 3). I couldn't get the temp to go much lower, so I eventually put on the daisy wheel, closed it up pretty tight and that got my temps back down. The salmon turned out great, but next time I'm gonna give MickeyT's temp rings a fighting chance to hold low temps with a more closed lower vent. I wonder what would happen if the rings were made of metal in a way that fit more tightly over the chimney. I saw leaking smoke from the wooden rings. [p]CB

Comments

• MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    Options
    char buddy,[p]IMHO and my year of experience using them thar rangs is a simple fix next time you want to do a 250 cook. You need to start a little earlier and use a lower number like a 1 or 2.
    Start creeping your temp up when it gets to 170 or so. You won't have a problem next time. A #5 is too much if youn want to maintain that temp. :>) [p] If you get that temp past that target mark it's a son of gun getting it down no matter what your using. Creep slo and you'll be in good shape.[p]Spatchcock chicken for me @ 350 last night. Yummy stuff.[p]Mick

• char buddy
    char buddy Posts: 562
    Options
    MickeyT.,[p]Hi there. Some minds think alike. I doing a spatchcock as I write this. I using a number 2 ring and the lower vent is open at a auarter inch and she's been rock steady at 210º for four hours. That's a personal best for me. I'm gonna let her go for another coupla hours and pull when the the thigh is done to 180+. I like to smoke spatchcocks low and slow after a long bath in a jerk marinade. [p]I put my temp rings under a the daisy wheel - set open. That way I can open the lid during a cook and the temp ring doesn't fall off.[p]Look for my later comments on the temp rings. They're great. I can finally do a rib cook as low as I like - 200-210º.[p]Good job MickeyT. I'll spread the word again after the spatchcock comes off. [p]CB