Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First cook and burn-in

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey...I am going to cook on my new large egg Saturday Night! Any suggestions for the first "Burn in?"[p]I plan to go get some Filet M. and NY Strips in the morning...I have a sack full o' lump and my table is ready...also have an electric starter...here goes the first light on Saturday night...I'll have the camera ready.[p]Any suggestions are appreciated!! [p](I'll wait 'till the cooking is started before I open my first beer)

Comments

• Boccie
    Boccie Posts: 186
    Options
    Newbie Egg Man,[p]I would suggest starting with chicken! Hate to see a nice peace of meat like FM get ruined if something goes awry...[p]My first cook was with Spatchcock Chicken, and even though I tried to be cautious, I still blackened the skin on one of them. Marked it up as a learning experience. I think I may do my first pizza tonight. Gotta love cooking on this egg![p]Good luck and good eating![p]-Boccie
  • last week end I used top sirloin for my first "burn in".
    This week end I am thinking simple hamburgers. This egg
    will be getting a lot of use.

• Trout Bum
    Trout Bum Posts: 343
    Options
    Newbie Egg Man,
    I'd go with the Strip Steaks. They're a little more forgiving than the Filets.
    Put in 2-3 of inches of lump, then the electric starter and a couple of more inches of lump. Bring lump up to 1-2 inches below the ring.
    Pull out the starter when you see some good red lump burning. Close the dome and open both the bottom vent and daisy all the way. Take her up to 700-750 degrees and when it's somewhat stabilized at that temperature add the steaks.
    Cook em 3 minutes on the first side then flip em and rotate if necessary and let em go another 3 minutes on the second side.
    Then shut the top and bottom vents and dwell till they're done. Check em with an instant read. The length of dwell depends on the thickness.
    For 1 inchers it's about 2-3 minutes for medium rare (130-135 degrees).
    Let us know how they turn out.
    Keep coming back to the forum. These guys and gals can really help.

• Big Daddy,[p]Just what I wanted to hear. I'll follow your directions. The only question I have is should I burn a fire in the egg before I cook on it or just go ahead and use it? I figure it is ok to go ahead and use it with-out a start-up fire but I didn't know if there was anything that needed to "burn-off" prior to cooking. I guess the first few hundred degrees will take care of the burn-off...eh?[p]I'll be back to the forum as this stuff is interesting reading...I just need to figure out how to post a picture as I am taking a few digital ones of my cooking in action this weekend! Thanks for the help to all...c ya soon.
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Newbie Egg Man,
    Welcome to the forum, please be sure you understand about flashbacks and how to "burp" the egg to prevent one.
    Happy Egg-n,
    New Bob

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Newbie Egg Man,
    Congrats on your new purchase! Hard to beat a good/great steak on the Egg. While doing chicken is a bit more forgiving than a steak, if you've got your heart set on a nice hunk of beef, go for it! Pay attention to the cautions about flare ups when opening the dome at 700+ degrees. None of us had ever cooked with those temps till we got the egg. If you've got questions, concerns, ask away. Only thing, if you're doing a steak, you may not have time to actually post a question and get the reply while the steak is cooking...7 mins! If you're planning a baked potato, better start the microwave before you light the egg!
    Good luck and happy eating!

• Trout Bum
    Trout Bum Posts: 343
    Options
    Newbie Egg Man,
    I wouldn't bother with a burn in. My first egg cook was the same one, strip steaks. Forgot to mention, I usually coat them with Montreal seasoning. It's probably a matter of preference though.
    See the link below for some picture posting information. This was complements of Tim M. on the forum a little while back.
    Happy Egging,
    B D

[ul][li]Picture Posting[/ul]
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Newbie Egg Man,
    This is one of those posts that may come as a surprise to a newbie, and I'll be as gentle as I can...kiss your BGE's pristine white insides goodbye. Your thought of a needed burn in/or burn off makes me think you want to season your BGE so that it stays show room perfect. I understand the marketing angle and even the pictures posted at the Eggfests, but unless you are forewarned you might be upset. Don't BE!!! Veterans have scars!!! Welcome to the wonderful world of BGE and ceramic cooking...you'll love it!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Newbie Egg Man,
    My only suggestion is to start your beer a little earlier than planned. I prefer the 1-1-2 method. This is best described as 1 beer while prepping the food, 1 beer while starting the fire and an estimated 2 beers while cooking....
    enjoy

Apollo Beach, FL
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Newbie Egg Man,[p]Aaaaaaahhhhhhh.... the first cook.[p]Suggestions you say? [p]My suggestion is to crank that puppy up, strip down, pour beer all over yourself while dancing the funky chicken necked around the cracklin' egg and howling at the moon with all the decibels your lungs will allow. And before you go completely out of your mind, sear the hell out of a good steak and ravagingly devour like there is no tomorrow.
    You're only a virgin once, you know.[p]Well... you did ask. Heee![p]WD