Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Free Green Egg Grill

Options
Beef Lover
Beef Lover Posts: 7
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi,[p]We bought a house in Jacksonville. One of the things that the seller left was a Green Egg Grill. It appears to be an older model, but is in good shape. It has been sitting in my garage, unused for several months, because I have no idea how to use it.[p]The only thing that it is missing is a cover for the chimney. To compensate for that, the previous owner had a piece of oak wood he would use to cover the chimney.[p]My question is, how do I use it? I have been unable to find an instruction manual online. Is it possible to order a chimney cover from the factory or is the piece of wood good enough? [p]Thanks,[p]Bill[p][p]

Comments

• lowercasebill
    Options
    http://www.biggreenegg.com/
    go here find your nearest dealer get a dual function metal top
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    You lucky dog.

You can purchase or order any part or accessory through your local dealer. Just click this link and enter your Zip Code to find the closest one.

http://www.biggreenegg.com/locator/results_list.php?zip=Zip&showsurrounding=1&radius=25&imageField.x=30&imageField.y=10

Or if you prefer, you can contact Big Green Egg in Atlanta and they will be happy to take your order.

Spring "Going Out Right Now And Buying A House Or Two" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    We need to find out the appoximet age. The real old models will not take high heat. The egg works as a low temp smoker or a high heat grill. It has many temp ranges that work just like your oven at home. It smokes either direct over lump hardwood or indirect with a heat barrier between the coals and the food. I'm sur you call the mothership to get operation manual to learn the basics. If you post where you live a fellow egger would be glad to come over and hep you get started. Good luck and to continue to post to get your answers. Tom
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    I will be happy to have a friend come take it off your hands if you do not want it :woohoo:

Seriously, give a call to AA bottle and gas on the northside of Jax. They sell the eggs and may be able to walk you through some things in person. They also have a big selection of rubs and sauces. There are some other links you can check out.

wessb.com

nakedwhiz.com

both have recipes and instrctions on how to cook on the egg. You are also welcom to post here, everyone is quite helpful and willing to lend a hand.

Gene
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    Bill,
    Welcome Bill. I think you asked the right question to the right bunch of people. Check out link for answers to most of your questions. As for the top, there is a Dual Function Metal Top (DFMT) out for the eggs. It is pretty much the standard for maintaining temps on the egg. There are others that use wood to maintain temps but they are experienced in doing this. For some one new to the EGG I'd recommend getting the DFMT. If you were to go to biggreenegg.com you can find the closest dealer to you by entering your zip code. [p]I'm sure others will answer this as we are a helpful group. Unfortunately you won't be able to see most of there replys. Reason being is we are changing Forum formats. Up at the top of the page you'll see a link saying New Forum this way. Click on it and scroll down to your post. New forum will allow you to see posts from here but will not allow posts over there to be seen here.[p]Again Welcome and enjoy you new toy. Some of the best food you will taste is just a few days away.

[ul][li]Naked Whiz[/ul]
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Bill,
    If this is one of the older cookers, it may be made from material that can't take the heat that the current cookers can. Maybe you can post a photo so we can see it. If you do have have one of the older ones, I have a copy of a 1970's owner's manual you might like to read. Otherwise, check out the new forum, check out the web sites devoted to ceramics, call the Big Green Egg company and get the current instructional DVD. But make sure of what you have before you try any high temperatures. Good luck![p]TNW

[ul][li]PDF File of 1976 manual[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • Old Salt
    Old Salt Posts: 357
    Options
    From the sound of it it's like the one I have. It definately is not a real high heat unit. It's the original clay habichi. Exactly like the BGE in looks and size. I ordered the metal cap for mine.
    Check out the Whiz manual. I printed out the complete manual. It's really helpful.