Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Checked out ceramic grills for first time today.

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I went out today to find a smoker. I happened up on "THE BIG GREEN EGG'S". Very intrigued I must say, although I've been reading for the last hour and I have more questions than answers. Eg. What is: stoker? cast iron grates, etc.
I would like to get the most for my money and would like honest opinions about ceramic vs. steel.

Thanks Firetruck

Comments

• Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    You'll discover that most -- if not all -- the BGEggers are former owners of various types of steel cookers. Now that I know about ceramic, I wouldn't go back to steel!

Better is just... better!

Lump is better than briquette
    Briquette is better than gas [really is!]
    Ceramic is better than steel...

Better taste... more control over the temps... more versatile as a four-season cooker...

Yada-yada...
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Stoker and the BBQ Guru are temperature control devices. Check out Rock's BBQ and BBQ Guru

Cast Iron Grates are just what they imply. The grates that come with the BGE are porcelain coated.

I used to tell people that the BGE would be the last cooker they will buy then I realized that 6 months from now you'll buy a second one. :)

As you pointed out BGE's biggest selling point is this forum.. Course that lifetime warranty isn't bad either..
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    I could write page after page of reasons I gave up on the steel grills once I had an EGG. Lets just say I've tried a few steel ones and have given away all of them. The link should answer alot of the questions you have about ceramic cooking.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/infocentral.htm
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    A capital-S "Stoker" is an electronics/blower package that monitors the temperature of your grill and food, adjusting air flow to maintain setpoint temp. There is also a competitor called the DigiQ II that performs a similar function.

A cast iron grate is an optional accessory that puts nice, deep, restaurant-like grill marks on your food.
  • Luvs to shoot clay
    Options
    Better really is just better!
    You won't get any comparisons to gas or steel here because they just don't compare. You really can't go wrong with the BGE.
    Use the search button at the top left and you will find out more that you want to know about Stokers and such. But in short the stoker and BBQ Guru digi Q 2's all just turn your smoker into an oven like cooker where you can regulate you heat from low temps 165 or less to high temps. 500 plus. Set it and forget it. You can sleep while doing low temp slow cooks. The cast iron grate is a nice extra. Once you get started you can add all sorts of good stuff. Just do the search thing if you get bored.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Check out my post just above. Think it say's it all. best part is you get the credit.
    Can't beat it
    Pat
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    shhhh, just be careful not to tell him about the 3rd or possibly 4th one in his future.

for example: ME

September 2006 1st large
    December 2006 2nd large
    July 2007 1st small
    February 2nd small (soon to belong to my neighbor)
  • Thanks for all the info. If the wife gives the thumbs up, I'll soon be firin up.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    My wife "Dear What in the hail do you need four eggs for?"

Me: "Chicken, Ribs, Pork, Brisket"

I now have five and number six is being picked up Tuesday...

Humpty and Miss Penny will permanently take their places of respect on my porch and the other 4 will be in the Competition Trailer.
  • Luvs to shoot clay
    Options
    If she doesn't...... Lots of fish in the sea
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Well Firetruck.. If you are anywhere near North Carolina I'll bring one of my eggs to your home. If I can't convince your wife how good the food is that comes off that egg you are are chit out of luck..
  • Wish I could take you up on that, but a drive from Memphis would make that a pretty expensive BBQ.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    True, but that is just how good the BGE is.

Even in a beginners hands you need to get used to the phrase "That is the best {insert food name here} I ever had."
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Wife was the same way before we got our first. Now no problem with adding anything we can afford. All it takes is a few cooks & now she's even looking forward to eggseries. ;) . Think she liked the thermopen more than I did. :laugh:

Pat
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    Stoker, CI grate and other 'eggcessories' you'll hear about on this forum are mostly those that have used the egg in it's 'natural form' for a while and are 'tweaking' their cooks...the BGE comes with everything you need to start producing some of the best cooks you will ever experience...adding plate setters, pizza stones, CI grates, DigiQ's, etc. etc. will help improve and enhance your experience and skills, but there isn't much of anything you cant make and make well from the get go....I too stumbled upon the BGE in my quest for a new 'steel' cooker..thank God the dealer I went to had both!!..you're biggest decision will be in the future when you are deciding how soon and what size your second Egg will be!! ;)
  • all I can say is...

hallelujah you've seen the light!!

I have a you beaut six burner gas job that no self respecting ausiie would be without..and since the intro of our new baby..

BGE.jpg

no more gas jobs..
    believe me your wife will agree it was a wise the buy the first day you serve her ANYTHING off the egg!! plus no husband I know was ever murdered by his wife while cooking or cleaning ;)
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Never was much for a gasser to start with. Always used some form of brickett cooker. The old Binkman, homemade rigs and my old favorits a gas grill converted to a charcoal cooker. Used them couple times a month. You can see them in my aviator or even better in the pic under my profile in my "Smoke shack and lounge" Now they are used as laptop stand and speaker cabnet as well as storage. My wife had heard about the Egg and wanted to go look at them. At 1st I was not that impressed. She wanted on so since its just me and her and we rarely have over more that a couple friends at a time we got the Medium. Only way I would agree to geting a 750 buck "charcoal grill" was her putting in some of "her" money on it.(bday,Christmass ect.) She ploped down 500 clams and I poneyed up the rest. Well as they say the rest is history. Guys at work say she got a full time cook for $500 bucks. I use it 4 or 5 times a week for everything: bread, cassarolls, meat, vegs. Would be burning now if not at work. Now just go get it!! ;)
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    My 2nd large was bought for the purpose of being a comp cooker (along with the 1st) The small was a "deal" and the 2nd small was a "better deal"

I can't wait for the next one to fall into my ap. Here is my defense, my wife is into scrapbooking and stamping. When she asks why I need a 3rd egg, I politely ask why she needs the 200th stamp?

Gene
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    Where in Memphis did you look at them. Last time we visited friends over there, I went by two egg stores in the middle of town. One was a firplace shop and the other was an outdoors/patio store?

We may be heading over in a few weeks. I am always looking for good prices on wood, charcoal and new sauces.

Gene

p.s. we used to live in Bartlett
  • BamaBackdraft
    Options
    My daughter lives outside Memphis. She told me one of the BGE dealers cooks every weekend as a sales promo. Find out which dealer and go try the goodies. You won't regret the purchase once you cook on it.