Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Heart-healthy appetizers?

The Naked Whiz
The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I need an idea for a killer heart healthy appetizer to take to a fund raiser for the Heart Fund. I want to impress them with the Egg's abilities like I do with the ribs I would have otherwise taken.....

Thanks!
The Naked Whiz

Comments

• ABT's stuffed with grits and pineapple. Pit beef on crackers. AZRP's Italian stuffed mushrooms. AZRP's Spicy shrimp
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Well I guess pig candy is out of the question....heheeee. Actually, two things come to mind. Maybe a modified version of the poblano rellanos that came to us by way of Steve Raichlen, JM3 and fishlessman. You know, more beans and less cheese kind of thing. Maybe making some with polenta & fresh corn, SyraQ posted a recipe with that combo. Or the 'ol standby, some smoked salmon with a nice lowfat yogurt/dill dipping sauce.

DSC02692a.jpg

DSC02744a.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Bruschetta Prep: 20 min.
    Bake: 5 min.
    Ingredients
    1 8-ounce loaf baguette-style French bread
    Nonstick cooking spray
    3-1/2 cups firmly packed torn fresh spinach
    1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    3 tablespoons almonds
    3 tablespoons snipped fresh basil or 1 tablespoon dried basil, crushed
    1 large clove garlic, quartered
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    2 tablespoons water
    1 cup chopped red and/or yellow tomato
    2 tablespoons thinly sliced green onion
    2 teaspoons olive oil
    1/8 teaspoon pepper
    Fresh basil (optional)

Directions
    For the toasts, cut bread into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Spray both sides of each slice lightly with nonstick cooking spray. Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake in a 425 degree F. oven about 5 minutes or until crisp and lightly browned, turning once.

For pesto, in a blender container or food processor bowl combine the spinach, Parmesan cheese, almonds, basil, garlic, and salt. Cover and blend or process with several on-off turns until a paste forms, stopping the machine several times and scraping the sides. With machine running, gradually add the 2 tablespoons olive oil and the water, blending or processing until the mixture is the consistency of soft butter.

For the tomato topper, in a small bowl stir together chopped tomato, green onion, the 2 teaspoons olive oil, and the pepper. To assemble, spread each toast with a thin layer of pesto; top each with some of the tomato topper. If desired, garnish with fresh basil. Makes 18 to 20 slices (1 slice per serving).

Make-Ahead Tip:Toast the bread slices the day before. Transfer the cooled toasts to a storage container. Cover and store the toasts at room temperature for up to 24 hours. Make the spinach pesto a day or two in advance. Cover and chill the pesto for up to 2 days.

• JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Maybe some small grilled asparagas bundels wrapped in 99% fat free ham?
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    That salmon looks fantastic! How was that done?
    I have yet to see recipies for smoked salmon, only planked.
    Thanx, Molly
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Collage-Salmon.jpg

Molly,

Thanks for the kind works.....I use a dry cure, which actually turns to a syrup-like liquid after a few hours (verses using a brine cure). After processing the fish you need a small low temp fire, it's possible without a Guru but it's a little harder. As you can see in the pictures, I have smoked plenty of fillets in my Egg, (technically this is hot smoking) but in all honesty I also use an electric smoker box which lets me ride the fence between cold smoking and hot smoking. That darker color on some of the fillets is from a switch to cherry wood about halfway through the smoke. Not sure if there is a flavor difference, but I like the color it leaves behind.

Details on the technique I use are in the SEAFOOD section of my site, link is below. This takes a little prep but it is well worth it. The presentation is always nice too.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery