Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Aspargus question

Options
mijoey
mijoey Posts: 58
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am doing a couple of spatchcocked chickens tonight at around 350 indirect. I want to also add some asparagus spears wrapped in bundles with a piece of bacon. My question is when to add the asparagus so the bacon will crisp up some and should I wait for the chicken to finish and do the asparagus direct heat?

Comments

• Hoss's BBQ
    Options
    I would say yes to waiting till the chicken is done for two reasons. 1) this will allow your chicken to rest after you were cooking it. this will allow for juices to resettle. 2) Asparagus does not take long to cook even with the bacon and you can go right from the grill to the table. Hope this helps Hoss
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    I like to do asparagus on direct heat usually.But you can throw them in with the chicken about 20-30 minutes before the chicken is done.It's easier then readdjusting the egg after the chicken is done.This is why I love my second egg. B)
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    asparagus is easy to cook and hard to screw up. the thin ones cook pretty fast [duh]
    i would be worried that the bacon might not finish before the asparagus and would pre cook mine a little. i have only cooked asparagus wrapped in prosciutto. so there is no reason to trust my opinion :) please let us know what you did and how it worked. we all learn from each others successes [and not so successful cooks]
    bill
  • mijoey
    mijoey Posts: 58
    Options
    Thanks everybody for your suggestion I'll let you know how it worked out and which method I use.