Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is There Such Thing As .......

Options
BENTE
BENTE Posts: 8,337
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Cooling an egg down too quickley? reason i ask is i am still curing my nomex gasket.. i did iton the first one and everytime i have seen a gasket question "curing" the gasket is recomended. well i started last saturday and i want to get in 10 heat and cool cycles in before saturday morning (from last sunday night till saturday morning). so to be able to get in an extra one tonight i have pulled all the lump out of my large and put into my small i have left the lid open on the large and i am pretty sure i am not going to cool it down too fast seeing as it is 40 degrees outside right now. but i was thinking what would happen if i was to try thin in one of the northern states or canada. could you actually cool it down too fast and cause some sort of damage? sorry proabably a stupid question but i am out of the good ones right now LOL :laugh: :)B);)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

Comments

• citychicken
    Options
    i think you might notice that there are indeed many folks who post and are in the northern states and / or provinces. we northerners have cooked on the egg in minus degree weather, shut down the egg after a cook, and allowed the egg to cool down - with no damage.

i suppose if you tried to "flash freeze" the egg or poor water on it after a high temp cook, well then you may have problems.

under normal circumstances though, i wouldn't worry.

by the way keep us informed on the new gasket please.
  • Spaceman Spiff
    Options
    And what to the instructions say?

I think this curing/cycles thing is superstition...

Spacey
  • BENTE
    Options
    i can almost tell you what you want to know now GO GET ONE!!!!!! i had one on the old egg base

gasket12-18-07001.jpg

(notice the color of the base)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    Options
    the instructions say nothing of not taking your brand new gasket to nuclear temps but i think just to be on the safe side i will take the opinion of "MOST" of the people who are on this forum and do what they say!!!

now me on my second cook on my egg (i did not have access to the forum or the video only the manuel) i cooked a steak to the instructions i read. i forgot about flashback and burnt all the hair off my chest. but did not fry my gasket never did fry that thing hit it with a pizza peel you can see here in this pic

101_0359.jpg
    (see right there in front) but when i asked people here on the forum that's what they said so that is what i do!! ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Options
    Tom,
    I've heard the "curing" of the gasket you refer to; but I've never did any curing other than let it set completely for 24 hours before cooking on the egg.
    In my tests with the Nomex, I often changed gaskets on a an on/off 24/48 hour basis trying to fry the gasket and the getting the adhesive to give. There was no give on either.
    I won't say that it couldn't happen, but I personally never witnessed it.
    Where did this "10" heating and cooling theory come from? You mentioned some instructions; I must have never seen them, but that wouldn't be nothing new for me.
    Thanks
    Hammer
  • BENTE
    Options
    well when i have ever heard anyone give a "newbie" some advice when they first get their egg the advice has always been to keep your egg under 450 for the first 8-10 cooks. when i first got my first nomex gasket i spoke with john and asked him if i should throw the heat or "cure" it first.... john said to "cure" it first. so that is what i did. but on saturday we are having friends over and they have not seen the awesome bread that comes off the egg. so i wanted to show them.

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb