Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A Little OT (Oil Vs. Butter)

Options
Rascal
Rascal Posts: 3,923
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Recently I substituted olive oil for butter in an oatmeal cookie recipe. I was very impressed with the outcome as there was not a hint of olive oil taste in the cookies. Now I'm wondering if I could do the same thing with a banana bread. I'm not worried about taste but just wonder if the chemistry will work as well. Any baking "pros" out there? TIA!

Rascal

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    look up portuguese rotten cake if you want to see a lot of oil in a cake, i bet it makes the cake a little heavier as the rotten cake is a heavey cake, but the stuff is good with the right frosting, cream cheese frosting goes pretty good with it. ive made this one on the egg, those were crazins on top. why not give it a try
    100_1063.jpg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Thanks for your input! Actually, the recipe came from the Food Network (Banana Bread With Pecans by Tyler Florence) and I altered it a bit to include 1/2 cup of crasins. Guess I'll give it a go with the oil next time. Most oils are great, but margarine & the hydrogenated oils s--K big time! Unfortunately, many folks were duped into believing that they were more healthy & safer than pure butter. How wrong that was as what happened was HDL's lowered and LDL's raised!

Rascal
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I sure enjoy seeing that photo.
    What else could a man want in a meal...
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    even the dog enjoyed the dry aged bone, that really was a great meal
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I had a warmed up piece of steak that I food savered and froze for my lunches here at work.
    It was not bad but compared to yours it would be better compared to eating spam...
    The temps down here were a bone chilling 55 degrees on my way home last night and they had the "Watch for ice on bridge" signs open. I sure miss the north...
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • ThrRoff
    ThrRoff Posts: 169
    Options
    Banana bread is my wife's forte, and she uses olive oil all the time. We love the results.
  • Angie2B
    Angie2B Posts: 543
    Options
    I bet it would be fine. Did you know you can sub applesauce for the oil in a lot of recipes?