Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast Iron Grate Cracks

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was wondering if anyone has had a problem with the CI grate cracking. I noticed last night that mine has several cracks around the edges. It is still holding together, but I'm afraid I'm going to come out one night and my food will be in the fire!! I use is just about all of the time except when smoking, TREX steaks and high heat pizza cooks. I let it warm up with the grill, but I haven't done anything special otherwise. Have I done something wrong? I love cooking on it, and if I have to replace it I don't want to make the same mistakes again. Any ideas would be great.

Stephen

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,818
    Options
    mine cracked years ago where the round part meets the center bar and a small piece eventually broke off in that area. been fine since and i use that section to add small wood chunks when i want to. once it cracks it relieves maybe some inhereant stresses and then lasts along time.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    I own a CI grid and from all I've heard here in the forum, you don't have to worry much about a few cracks. Keep on cooking.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,916
    Options
    IMHO it is a design flaw. Why? The center gets the hottest and the metal expands, but stress occurs when that continuous outer ring doesn't allow the flexibility and eventually the repeated stress will take its toll.
  • Eggweiser
    Options
    I dont have one yet,but it is on my list. When I get one I think I might put 3 or 4 relief cuts around the out side band to give it some room to expand.
  • I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one. It sounds like it shouldn't be a problem. I was hoping that was the case because I love the way it cooks. Thanks to all who replied.

Stephen
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    I know I have posted this before, but by cutting my CI grid into two pieces, it is easier to haandle and probably helps prevent expansion issues!

P4210006.jpg

Smokey