Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Portabello Help Please

Options
Gandolf
Gandolf Posts: 906
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I want to do some Portabello's as a meat substitute this evening. I reviewed the two recipe listed in the "cookbook" section and could probably do something with the sandwich recipe to make it a main course item, but curious if anyone has something they really like? Thanks

Comments

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    We do a variation on the sandwich. We take some nice farm bread and toast it. Drizzle the portabellas with balsamic and olive oil, add some salt and pepper and grill. When almost done, add some sliced gouda and continue grilling until the cheese melts.

When the portabellas are done, add to one side of the farm bread, slicing to fit if necessary. Add a few thin sliced apples on top (I like granny smith). On the other side of the bread, add a bit of apple or pear chutney, or even apple butter.

Comes out VERY tasty...

One thing I've wanted to try is a mushroom lasagna, using a variety of mushrooms including portabellas.

Let us know what you end up doing.
    :)
    Cheers,
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    i brush with olive oil, salt, pepper (geill side), and grill gills down, semi-hot for a little bit. flip gills up, fill with tapenade, maybe some cheese on top. turn it down and let it bake a bit, warming the tapenade thru and finishing the portabella.

did this on a whim with leftover tapenade. was really good...
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Rusty Rooster
    Options
    Follow either of the below two instructions then add a little marinara sauce for a great sandwich.
  • Michael B
    Options
    Grilled Stuffed Portabello Mushrooms

• 4 large portabello mushrooms
    • 10-12 ounces baby spinach, washed
    • Extra virgin olive oil
    • 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
    • 2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic
    • 1 cup finely diced ripe tomatoes
    • 1/4 cup oil packed, sun dried tomatoes, thinley sliced
    • 1/4 cup pitted and coarsely chopped Kalamata olives
    • Kosher salt
    • Freshly ground black pepper
    • 1/4 cup fine, soft bread crumbs

Cook the spinach in a saucepan for 1 to 2 minutes over high heat until wilted, stiring frequently.
    Place spinach in a sieve and drain until cooled.
    Squeeze the extra liquid with your hand, then roughly chop the spinach.
    You should have about 1 cup.
    Warm 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat.
    Add the onion and cook until golden, about 5 minutes.
    Add the garlic and cook for about 30 sevonds.
    Add the diced tomatoes and cook for 1 minute.
    Add the spinach, sun-dried tomatoes, olives, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
    Cook 1 to 2 minutes until all the moisture has evaporated.
    Remove and set aside.
    Remove and discard the mushroom stems.
    Carefully scrape out the black gills and discard.
    Brush olive oil on mushroom caps and season with 1/4 teaspoon salt.
    Grill smooth side up over medium heat until well marked. About 5 minutes.
    Place on work surface, smooth stde down.
    Spoon spinach mixture into mushrooms.
    In small mixing bowl, combine bread crumbs with 1 tablespoon EVOO, salt and pepper.
    Top spinach with bread crumb mixture.
    Place stuffed mushroom caps on grill an additional 5-10 minutes until the crumbs are browned and the mushrooms are tender.
    Remove from heat and serve.
  • mojopin
    mojopin Posts: 200
    Options
    I did a really tasty portabello lasagna the other day. I like to scrape out the gills before I grill them. I feel they taste a little less like dirt (LOL) and give them a meatier texture. Then I oil them and grill them till done. Then I stacked them with a ricotta cheese mixture and layered 3 of them with cheese and grated parm and grated mozzarella and then back on the egg in a cast iron skillet to bake and melt the cheese. Then add tomato sauce to the top and serve with a side of penne or other pasta.

-Jill
  • Ron_L
    Ron_L Posts: 163
    Options
    I make Portabello pizzas once in a while. I scrape the gills out and brush the gill side with olive oil and garlic and then grill gill side down for a couple of minutes then flip and fill with your favorite pizza toppings and cook until the pizza ingredients are done and the portabello is tender.
  • My favourite way of doing them is to rub them all over with olive oil and fill the caps with a mixture of
    spring onions(i think you guys call them scallions)
    goats chese or soft cream chese
    crushed garlic
    salt
    pepper
    a few drops of tabasco or fresh chopped chili
    drizzle of olive oil on top

then place them on the rack until the cheese is bubbling and maybe a little browned then quickly place the mushrooms on thick slices of sourdough . the bread absorbs all the gorgeous juices and tastes great!!

makes me hungry just thinking about it

cheers
    queenie
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    AussieBBQqueen wrote:
    My favourite way of doing them is to rub them all over with olive oil and fill the caps with a mixture of
    spring onions(i think you guys call them scallions)
    goats chese or soft cream chese
    crushed garlic
    salt
    pepper
    a few drops of tabasco or fresh chopped chili
    drizzle of olive oil on top

then place them on the rack until the cheese is bubbling and maybe a little browned then quickly place the mushrooms on thick slices of sourdough . the bread absorbs all the gorgeous juices and tastes great!!

makes me hungry just thinking about it

cheers
    queenie
    I have to try that! it sounds wonderful!! Julie