Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I'm Eeeeeggin' in the rain...

Options
Jeffersonian
Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
...just Eeeeeggin' in the rain!

Doing the DP Grilled Wing recipe today for the boys 'n' me. Here's a little photo essay of what I'm doing (for the first time...please be gentle):

Clipped the wing tips off:

DSC00191.jpg

Here are the wash/dredge ingredients...that's Shakin' the Tree:

DSC00192.jpg

And breaded:

DSC00194.jpg

Put them on the Egg at 250*, expecting about a 2-2-1/2 hour cook. I'm not thrilled with the lump I'm using this time, though, a local private label. I ran out of Royal Oak and I'm stuck with this right now....we shall see.

Comments

• Austin Smoker
    Options
    I've got the same recipe getting ready to go on, thanks to the recommendations of some gellow Eggers here! I can't wait to check em out. I did seperate the drummies from the wings, so I'll be watching temps closely after about an hour and a half.
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    Post pics, if you got 'em. I just bumped my Egg up to 275*....I'm doing indirect, so I should be at the higher temp. Here they are, halfway through the cook:

DSC00195.jpg
  • EggEd
    EggEd Posts: 88
    Options
    Same cook but no rain going here (just a little below zero in Toronto, Ontario, Canada). Taking them over to the neighbours for Super Bowl. Just spilled half-jar of Bone-Suckin sauce into the egg. First time for that error. A bit smokey so I transferred the wings to the oven and opened the vents to burn off the sauce

D-oh :angry:

Followed that same recipe from DP website. Mostly drumettes I am Egging. Smell great. Saw some neighbours from the street over and they wondered what I was cooking
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    Mine are looking pretty good, but I think a corn flour might be a better idea than corn meal...it seems to be a bit thick on the wings. The real test will be the eatin', though.
  • EggEd
    Options
    I have not tried mine yet but I will post back with the reviews after the game. I used corn flour and the coating was very light. There was a run on wings in my area and I actually cleaned the last butcher out and bought some pre-cooked (gasp !) from another butcher. So we have a wing sampler going on...Enjoy the game !
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    The final product...will give taste verdict soon cuz it's almost kickoff time:

DSC00196.jpg
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    Verdict:

The taste of the wings was pretty good - #3 Son liked them a lot. I was so-so on them. They were mostly juicy. The most unattractive feature was the corn meal: It left a very coarse and undesirable texture on the wings that I really didn't like. I'll be sure to omit it or substitute corn flour next time.
  • EggEd
    Options
    Mine were a hit overall. Corn flour made for a lighter texture and the DP Raging River combined with Hot Bone Suckin sauce was great.
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Jeffersonian, They actually look quite tastie. I had to look back to see how you did them. Thought they had mustard in them. Guess corn meal gave color. Yesterday snow and today rain. Whats next? :blink:
  • Austin Smoker
    Options
    Mine turned really well with Corn Flour (didn't even realize I made the substitution off the DP recipe.)

I had three sauces laced on the wings, a traditional Buffalo with a little habanero, a BBQ - consisted of Cattleman's Smokehouse with Cider Vinegar to thin, and lastly, and my favorite - Honey Gold - which is a 50/50 mix of buffalo and honey mustard. I first tried this from a place called Mr. P's Wings in Memphis. All three were a hit at my neighbors, and sorry, but no pics because they were whining for them so loudly.

I used the direct method on a well oiled, elevated grate as decribed by DP and had NO sticking problems.

Thanks again to those of you recommended the recipe, it will be a staple.
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    I think that's the way to go. congrats on your successful cook!
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    Sounds perfect, AS. I think the corn flour substitution is the key here.