Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL Egg platesetter & pizza stone

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone know the proper placement of the platesetter & pizza stone for the XL egg? I recently installed the plate setter on top of the fire ring and the pizza stone on top of it. Just like the video shows. What happens is the high heat right at the seal melts the felt seal. I've called BGE a couple of times and each time I call I get a different answer? HELP!

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Kurt,

I put the platesetter on top of the grill for pizza. I don't have an XL stone but I use a couple of firebricks to elevate the large stone. There is not a lot of height with the XL platesetter compared to the other sizes.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• eatbbq
    eatbbq Posts: 81
    Options
    I have a XL and the first time I used it I put the platesetter legs down on top of the fire ring and to elevate the pizza stone a bit I put the grate on top of the platesetter, then the pizza stone. I found it was not quite high enough for my liking so since I also have a large pizza stone as well as the XL size I put the large on top of the platesetter, the grill, then the XL stone. I have also seen posts where people use the ceramic feet that come with the Egg, or some 3/4" copper elbows between the platesetter and the pizza stone to give it some air space and to elevate it. Since I never got the feet with my XL I have never tried that but the next time I do a pizza I am going to try some elbows. I like the pizza stone elevated above the felt line because it helps the top brown better. The large pizza stone on top of platestter, then the grill ,and XL stone worked very well, but it took awhile to heat all that ceramic mass up so I think the air space between plate setter and stone would be quicker. There isn't a whole lot of dome space in the XL so you can't get too high into it. Hope this is a bit of a help.