Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

salmon cure

Options
KCWolf
KCWolf Posts: 4
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone have any salmon recipes that use molasis or honey?

Comments

• ThrRoff
    ThrRoff Posts: 169
    Options
    I use brown sugar and salt, but I see no reason you couldn't subsitute honey or molases. Let us know how it comes out .

salmonfinish.jpg
  • CNL
    CNL Posts: 96
    Options
    I make the typical brine 1/4 cup salt per quart of water. To that I add 1/4 cup of maple syrup per half gallon of brine. This is really good and I can't see why the substitution of honey or molasses would be a bad thing. I use real maple syrup because at room temp. it seems to blend into the liquid faster. I also add spiced rum at the same ratio of the syrup and folks really enjoy it.
  • citychicken
    Options
    this is a favorite of mine. no honey or molasses, but there is sugar. i suppose you might try substituting sugar with honey. also, if you need it today-forget it. this is not a complicated recipe, but the cure does take a few days.

Salmon Gravlax
    Active Time: 30 min
    Total Time: 48 hrs (includes curing time)
    Serves: 6 to 10
    Step 1: Preparing the Gravlax
    1/4 cup sugar
    1/4 cup coarse salt
    2 tsp. whole star anise
    1 tbsp. fennel seeds
    2 tsp. white peppercorns
    1/4 cup fresh dill
    1 fillet fresh salmon
    To start the rub (or curing mixture) for the gravlax, combine the sugar and salt in a mixing bowl. Heat a fry pan to medium high heat and toast the star anise and fennel seeds, then set aside and let cool. Once cooled, grind the star anise, fennel and peppercorns. Then add to the salt and sugar mix. Chop the dill and add it to the bowl and mix everything together. Next remove any pinbones from the salmon and the remove the thin part of the belly and any excess fat. Using a casserole dish that is large enough for the salmon to lie flat, sprinkle a layer of the curing mixture to lightly coat the bottom of the dish. Lay the fish skin side down and sprinkle a generous amount of the curing mixture onto the top side of the salmon. Depending on the size of your fish you may not need to use all of the curing mixture. Just be sure you have an even layer on the top side of the fish. Next lay a piece of plastic wrap over the fish. Then lay a smaller casserole dish over the plastic wrap and add weight to the dish (such as heavy cans). Allow the salmon to cure for approximately two days in the refrigerator. Turn the salmon over once each day to ensure that it is being evenly cured. After about 48 hours, brush off any remaining curing mixture and keep wrapped in the refrigerator until ready to serve.

To serve the gravlax, be sure to use a sharp slicing knife or a fish slicer. Starting at the tail, angle your knife and try to cut the pieces as thinly as possible, making sure not to cut through the skin.