Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cornish Game Hens

Options
Gandolf
Gandolf Posts: 906
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We've got a couple of these waiting for me to do some egg magic on them. Problem is, I don't have any good ideas for cooking them. Sure will appreciate any suggestions. Thanks everyone.

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    You can spatchcock or beer butt them. If you want to go the extra mile, here is the way I like to do them.

Cornish, Stuffed, Richard

INGREDIENTS:
    2-3 Whole Cornish Game Hens
    OR
    6-8 Whole Quail
    Stuffing
    3 cups Cooked Rice, Basmati preferred
    1/2 cup Pignole, Pine Nuts, Pecans, Walnuts, your choice
    1/2 cup Chutney
    1/4 cup Scallions
    Wrap
    4-6 Pieces Bacon
    SAUCE
    1 Jar Raspberry Jam 4-6 Oz. or Orange Marmalade
    Dijon Mustard
    Balsamic Vinegar
    Lemon Juice
    Salt/Pepper

Procedure:
    1 Cook Rice, Basmati or Jasmine preferred, Use 1/3 orange juice by volume of total liquid used to cook rice.
    2 Mix cooked rice w/ nuts ( pignoles or pecans chopped), chutney, scallions, stuff cornish game hens, works well w/quail. Use: pepper, salt,poultry seasoning whatever you like for rub.. Stuff birds w/mixture.
    Optional for game hens:
    1 Wrap birds w/bacon , may take 2-3 pieces to totally wrap quail, cornish lay 2-3 pieces on breast and cook indirect breast up. For quail skewer w/large tooth picks or something else to hold the bacon.
    2 Place in oven baking dish on rack to keep drippings underneath or place on BGE and grill using indirect method. Bake 325-350 F for 40-50 minutes until bacon is crispy, Start quail birds breast down, and turn breast up 1/2 way into cook. "V" rack works well for cornish, cook breast up with bacon strips.
    3 Rest 10 minutes. Serve. If Egging be careful not to let the drippings flare and burn bacon/birds. Great reheated next day.
    Sauce
    1 Mix the sauce ingredients in a pan on low heat, add raspberry jam first. Tablespoon Dijon, Tablespoon Balsamic vinegar. Lemon juice and seasoning. Bring to slow boil and stir; adjust to your tastes. Orange marmalade may be substituted for the raspberry.
    Side Dishes:
    1 Grilled Asparagus & Oyster Mushrooms w/ Italian Dressing to grill.
    Portions:
    1 !/2 Cornish or 2-3 Quail per person.

Servings: 6
    Preparation time: 45 minutes
    Cooking time: 1 hour
    Ready in: 1 hour and 30 minutes

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Poultry

Recipe Source
    Author: Richard Howe, 05/25/02

Source: BGE Forum, Richard, 02/27/06
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    There's one recipe in the cookbook for them, all the way at the end. Looks pretty good.

Others here have posted pics of spatchcocked or beer-butted hens that look good, too. I'd just wet with EVOO and rub with Shakin' the Tree or some other appropriate spice.
  • Gandolf
    Options
    Saw that one. Hoping for some other ideas from the experts. Thanks
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    I personally don't like orange marmalade BUT my friend made some with a mixture of horseradish and orange marmalede and they were very good.
    Molly
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    Granted, it's not a recipe but Rascal has a nice photo suggestion for Cornish hens. If I'd add anything, it might be a bacon wrap.
  • Rick's Tropical Delight
    Options
    cooking can be as complicated or as simple as you want. personally, i prefer to keep it simple. all you really need is s&p and heat to get it to 160 in the breast and till the leg moves easily in the joint. i've cooked the carp outta game hens and they were still juicy and fantabulous. how bout just s&p (and or a rub) and lemon/apple/rosemary in the cavity and maybe a little apple or cherry chips for light smoke?

gamehens-006.jpg

DSCN8764-1.jpg

19feb07-002.jpg

21jan07_1-033.jpg
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Spatchcocked a few about 10 days ago. Brocolli and cornbread dressing on the side

101_1624640x480.jpg

101_1629640x480.jpg
  • ThrRoff
    ThrRoff Posts: 169
    Options
    Did you do those direct or indirect? Kind of hard to tell from the picture.
  • Gandolf
    Options
    Thanks everyone, some great ideas. Tomorrow is the day for these babies.
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    They were cooked direct.