Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The new Mini

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi:[p]I recently purchased a mini egg and have a few notes to share:[p]I was expecting the mini to be harder to work with than my large egg. I figured that temp control would be harder because there is no slide style of top for the mini. What I found, however, is that the mini is just as easy to use as the large. The key thing I noticed is that the temperature climbs and falls much faster in the mini (less mass to heat and cool); therefore, you need to monitor it fairly well until you hit your target temp. Once you settle on a temp the mini stays there pretty well. Not having a slide top didn't seem to make too much difference other than the temps would fall faster once the bottom vent was closed down.[p]My first use was to smoke some salmon that had been soaked in soy, brown sugar, and tobasco. The result was exactly what I expected, great. The second use was with chicken and again it was great. Both smoking and grilling worked the same as the large.[p]I purchased the mini because there are more times when I cook that I don't need the surface area of the large, but want the quality of the egg. I recommend the mini to anyone who only cooks for one or two, or for anyone who only cooks smaller amounts!![p]Larry

Comments

• mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Options
    I am also in love with my mini, although I keep impaling my food with the dome thermometer. I impaled a bunch of still-frozen shrimp I had tossed on some fish and the thermometer went berserk. I couldn't figure out why the temperature variation until I was cleaning out the mini a few days later and found the shish-ka-bob shrimp hanging onto the dome for dear life.[p]I find myself much more likely to toss on a couple chicken breasts or a piece of fish instead of using an alternative cooking method. Those round foil pans the size that Sara Lee coffee cakes come in work wonderfully.

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    MollyShark, Take the clip off the thermometer (inside) and store it in a drawer. Use a piece of styrofoam on the outside and push the thermometer stem thru it and use it to adjust the stem to avoid the inner punctures.. This also insulates the stem from outside temperature variables. I find it works for me nicely.. If you don't then you may see some temperature variations..Experiment a bit. As you slide the stem in and out, you will see the different changes in the readings.
    Cheers..C~W
    (BTW..occasionally clean the goop from the stem.)

• Tanker Tim
    Options
    MollyShark,[p]I'm a new mini owner as well. The little guy is a force to be reckoned with! One thing I do on the Big one is take an old cork from a wine bottle and stick the thermometer thru it to help raise it up and insulate it. I wish I could take credit for that idea but it was posted here awhile back.[p]TT