Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whole Wheat Bread

Options
Grandpas Grub
Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Several people have emailed me asking for this recipe... so I thought I would post it.

I hope you enjoy it.

Basic Whole Wheat Bread

6 cups warm water
2/3 cup oil
2/3 cup honey
8 cups Freshly Milled Whole Wheat Flour
2 Tbsp. Vital Wheat Gluten (we also use other brands as available)
2 Tbsp. Dough Enhancer
2-3 Tbsp. SAF instant yeast
4-8 additional cups Freshly Milled Whole Wheat Flour (for use later)
2 Tbsp. Real salt
2 Tbsp. liquid lecithin (optional - we never use)

In the mixing bowl, combine water, oil, honey and lecithin (optional - we never use).
Next add 8 cups of freshly ground wheat flour. On top of the flour, add Vital Wheat Gluten, Dough Enhancer and SAF instant yeast. “Jog” as not to ‘splash’ out of the mixing bowl. Mix on low speed until smooth.

Begin adding freshly milled whole wheat flour. Add it slowly as to not over flour. You have enough when some the flower stops sticking to the side of the bowl. You can also check with your ‘floured’ finger. Tap the dough gently with your finger to see if it sticks. It shouldn’t stick to your finger. If the mixture sticks add a little more flour. Also look for spots on the walls of the bowl that are clear of dough momentarily. When the flour doesn’t stick to your floured finger you have enough flour and are ready to proceed.

At this point turn your mixer at a slightly higher speed and mix for about 5 minutes. The dough that was stuck to the sides and the floor of the mixing bowl will completely clean off. Form dough into 5-6 loaf pans. When they are fully risen you should be able to put a small dent in the side of one of the loafs with your finger and the dent will not come back out, or it will come back very slowly.

Place loaves into a cool oven (not preheated) - one will have to make changes when cooking on the egg (shorter cook time).

Bake at 350° for 35 minutes.