Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Competitor VS. Digi Q

Good Eats
Good Eats Posts: 136
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I know lots of you are loyal fans of the BBQ Guru guys as am I, I currently have a Competitor Model and have been seriously eyeing the new Digi Q Model... I am just having a hard time pulling the trigger. Are there any of you out there that have a Competitor and " upgraded " to the new Digi Q? If so, is it worth it? Do you notice a considerable difference that warrants the upgrade? I am very happy with the competitor but the Digi Q sure looks SWeeeeet. Opinions please.

Comments

• Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    I don't own either, but am curious; what would the Digi Q do for you that the Competitor won't?
  • Good Eats
    Good Eats Posts: 136
    If you click on the link below you will find a review of the DIGI Q, at the bottom is a list of features as compared to the Competitor... I don't really need either but A) It makes life simple and B) I am a gadget guy.

http://nakedwhiz.com/productreviews/digiq2/digiq1.htm
  • Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    A true 'gadget guy' must *always* have the latest bells, whistles, and flashy lights.
  • Boxerpapa
    Boxerpapa Posts: 989
    I don't own the Competitor, but I do own the Pitminder and upgraded to the DigiQII.

This is what I like about the DigiQII over the Pitminder:

It's accuracy is second to none. You set the pit temperature and it will stay at that temperature for hours and hours. The Pitminder's dial isn't as accurate. I noticed I would have to moniter the fire for a while until it has reached that consistant temperature. Not saying the Pitminder is bad, just less work with the DigiQII.

The digital read out is really easy to read. I put a butt on last night at 9 PM. Went to bed about 11 PM. My bedroom is right above my BGE. If I woke up in the middle of the night, I could peek out the window to see if the dome temperature is steady. But then again, no need to do it because the DigiQII takes all that away.

This sounds so redundant from people who own the DigiQII, but to me it was well worth the purchase. Then again, I went from a Pitminder that has no additional feature like "ramp" to the DigiQII with all the features to make life easy. Good luck if you do indeed buy one.
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    In the END the DigiQ will not do anything that Competedor want do which is control pit temp and tell meat temp. BUT It's how you get to the END that is differant. Have never used the Competitor b4 but several things I do love about DQ that Competitor doesnt have. Whiz doesnt make much of it in his review but I love the bright L.E.D display and coupled with the fan pulses indicator. Old Fred told me when I was talking to him that the display was bright and easy to see at night. I told him my Egg was about 30 yards from my house and behind a building. Only way to see it was from kitchen window at about 75 degree angle looking out. Said grab a pair banoculars and can see fine. He's right. The best part is fan % output. L.E.D flashes 3x and pause for 30% runtime 4x for 40% run time ect. When its 2am and 35 degrees out, your standing naked (Whiz ant the only naked bq'er) in kitchen and you look out and see Egg temp is 260 degrees and fan out put is 30% its real nice and fuzzy feeling. That 30% output tells me theres plenty lump in the hole for quite awhile and I can crash till 8 or 9 am. Ramp incase I over sleep and no more unpluging the fan to rearange your food w/o temp overshoot. All in a small conveniant package. But in the end the results are the same. From the tone of your post I can tell you want it. Just pick up the phone. Call today. :evil:
  • I have been looking at the Digi Q. I am thinking about getting it. Which competitor are you talking about? I want to make sure that I research it before pulling the trigger.
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    All mentioned in this post are made by BBQ GURU. Type in yahoo search 1st link. Competitor is older model while DQ is newest with some more add on controls/indicator. The other manufacture is called THE STOKER. Not delt with it but another option.
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    If the Digi-Q II had the connectivity the Stoker has, I'd get it in a heartbeat. As it is, I'm torn between the two.