Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cin Chili

Options
Beast
Beast Posts: 78
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello All,
not to long back someone posted a link or information on how to prepare cin chili and everything they used to make it including the type of wood chunks that were used as well i'm now in search for this info but unable to locate any resources can someone please guide me to this info please i would like to try some today if possible thanks in advance
Beast

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    It wasn't my post, but I have made 2 batches of Cin Chili to date. I brown 2 pounds ground beef and drain that. While it is draining I take a whole onion and a whole clove garlic, chopped, and sweat them in the dutch oven. Then I add back the ground beef, a can of beef broth, 3 chopped jalapeños, a can of crushed tomatoes and a can of black beans. Once that comes to a boil I add the Cin Chili mix and simmer for an hour.

I am cooking this in a DO at 375 on a grid over a platesetter. I use hickory for smoke.
  • Avocados
    Avocados Posts: 465
    Options
    I do something very similar, using the Cin Chili as the base add a chopped onion, a can of drained black beans, a can of drained red kidney beans, and a can of diced tomatoes.

In addition to the two pound of ground sirloin I will cut up about a pound and a half of a sirloin steak into smaller chunks and then smoke them indirect on the egg instead of browning in the dutch oven.

The chunks of beef are then simmered a little bit to slightly tenderize in the beef stock along with the onion, chopped tomatos, and browned, ground beef before add the chili mix and beans.

Makes for a nice meaty, chunky, smokey chili with a little bit of beans for some texture.

Goes great served with some cornbread and cheddar cheeze on the side (or top)
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I did that before using a flat iron steak. Makes for a nice contrast of textures and meat sizes in the chili. I didn't do it with Cin Chili mix - but it works very nice.
  • Thanks for both of your replies
    is this done for about 90 mins or how long are the cooks
  • Avocados
    Options
    Flat Iron sound like a great idea, I just happen to have a bunch in the freezer!!!

That reminds me that I need to order some more Cin Chili mix since I gave a bunch away for Christmas and used the last of mine.

It is awefully convenient to use as a base and then 'tweak' it with other seasonings to experiment with different levels of heat and spice, or to stretch it out if I have added too much meat and other stuff.
  • Avocados
    Options
    I tend to simmer it for about two hours (or a little longer) after all the ingredients are together.
  • eggbasket
    eggbasket Posts: 111
    Options
    Beast,
    does this help? I had saved this in my document file for future reference.
    Good Luck,
    Carol[p]Posted by Spring Hen <mailto:Judy_Mc@comcast.net> on December 16, 2007 at 11:18:00:
    In Reply to: Cin chili?? <457191.shtml> posted by Dr. Walrod on December 16, 2007 at 10:20:44:
    Dr. Walrod,I had the same concern when I was going to use the Cin Chili in Atlanta for my Frito Pie so I contacted Cindy Wilkins. This is what she said about how they stretch it for shows.... "Plan on using a little more of both, but be sure that the tomato sauce is salt free and beef broth is very low sodium. We also add some water to our when we do our tastings to make it go further. Have a great show and thanks for sharing our chili with others! Cindy
    Today must be chili day because I am doing a batch also. This time I am going to try something new. I love the recipe of Kenny G so I am going to combine his recipe with using Cin Chili in the place of his dry ingredients. Wish me luck!
    Judy [p]Here are some notes from Kenny G's cooking instructions:
    Preheat your Egg to 275-300º. Cook on the Egg with smoking chunks, placing chilipot on a pizza stone or other "thermal barrier". This allows the chili to heat slowly and pick up more smoke flavor. Stir and taste every 20 minutes or so. Monitor the chili temp with an instant read thermo or Polder. Remove the dried pepper when you have the heat you are looking for. At about 140º internal and/or 1.5-2 hours, remove the thermal barrier. With the pot directly over the heat now, it should come up to a boil in about 30 more minutes.

[ul][li]http://www.cinchili.com/index.html[/ul]