Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's the difference?...

Options
ShortRIb
ShortRIb Posts: 88
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What is the difference between chicken stock, chicken base, chicken bouillon and chicken broth? Many recipes call for one of them and I wonder if they are all the same?

Comments

• SWOkla-Jerry
    Options
    They are all basically the same. I use chicken stock, I make myself. Base is a paste and is better than boullon or boxed chicken broth from stores. To make a good chicken or turkey stock, use left over chicken bones, after deboning chicken, add carrots, onions, and celery(stalks, skins and all) to full pot of water(big 8 -12 Qt pot), add garlic, pepper, salt, and I also add white wine, if I have any I haven't drank. Boil for up to 4 hours. Strain and freeze in quart containers for future use with any recipe that calls for chicken broth.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Stocks are made from mostly bones while broths are made with mostly meat. Bouillion is the same as stock but here it generally means dehydrated stock (powder or blocks) I don't know what chicken base is. Consomme is a broth which has been cooked with a clarification i.e. ground meat and egg mixture that forms a "raft" on top of a cooking liquid qnd captures the solids.Jean Pierre Little Steven

Steve 

Caledon, ON