Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

what's the point of registering

Options
Rick's Tropical Delight
edited November -1 in Forum Feedback
what's the point of registering if guests can post? i guess i don't get it.

anyway... the 'guests' are posting crap again, so

see ya!

Comments

• WMK
    WMK Posts: 1,747
    Options
    Rick's Tropical Delight,

The first time, back in 2005, when we ran this forum up the flag pole, there was considerable resistance to the idea of *requiring* registration to post. Apparently, folks felt that it would make the forum "elitist" or that it would be a barrier to entry.

It is true that many "newbies" post on the old forum before they create a profile; so, at the time, we added the "security graphic" to at least block the automated spammers from getting through. But this does nothing to slow down the "trolls" who seem to have nothing better to do than try to disrupt our forum -- seems to me that they're the ones that need to "get a life".

So, we'll add a poll so that everyone can "weigh in" on the issue. If the consensus, that only registered member should be able to post, then this is a simple configuration change on the new forum.
  • Rick's Tropical Delight
    Options
    ok thanks. maybe the poll should be "should trolls be able to post as guests". i'm not so sure most people realize when they vote "no" for registration prior to posting it means the door will be wide open for the trolls.
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    WMK, will unregistered folks still be able to read all the forums? The Primo forum won't let you lurk without registering and that seems a bit extreme and exclusionary. I've gotten a number of emails privately complaining about that forum, FWIW...
    The Naked Whiz
  • i think your point about allowing lurking is spot-on. people seem to lurk here for a long while before finally diving in, and we should still allow that.

i'm on the fence as to whether they need to register to post, but i think lurking should be unrestricted.

perhaps with a few moderators, 'guests' posts could land in a holding area until one of the moderators "OKs" it? three moderators would probably be enough to free WMK from checking "guest" posts and deleting spam.