Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Andouille Sausage

Options
carpetman
carpetman Posts: 95
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Finally found 2 packs at my local grocery store. Anyone have any great ways to egg these. I am thinking about Shrimp & Andouille sausage with pasta or grits. Any other ideas?

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Jambalaya

They are good smoked and sliced, but jambalaya with andouille is terrific.
  • Anything that would allow the natural smoke flavor of the andouille to shine through. A pot of beans, gumbo, jambalaya like Fidel suggested.

Recipe by Dond

Duck Shrimp And Andouille Gumbo Recipe

2 Tbsp butter
    ½ cup all-purpose flour
    2 Tbsp vegetable oil
    1½ finely diced onions
    3 diced celery stalks
    1 diced green bell pepper
    4 minced garlic cloves
    2 Tbsp tomato paste
    ¼ cup white wine
    1 quart chicken broth
    1 cup tomato puree
    1 ham hock
    ¾ cup okra, trimmed, cut into ¼-inch slices
    ½ pound andouille sausage, sliced into ¼-inch pieces
    2 duck breasts, skinless
    2 tsp salt
    1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
    ½ pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
    3 plum tomatoes, seeded and diced
    ½ tsp hot sauce

Directions
    In a small saucepan, combine the butter and flour to form a roux, and cook over medium heat until dark brown, stirring frequently, about 8-10 minutes. This is going to take a while, so don't make other plans. You want your roux to brown, not burn, so pay attention and keep stirring.
    While the roux is cooking, sauté the onions, celery, and bell pepper in the vegetable oil over medium to medium-high heat until golden brown, about 12-15 minutes.
    Add the garlic and cook for 2 more minutes. Add the tomato paste and cook to a rich red-brown color, stirring constantly, about 3-4 minutes.
    Deglaze the pan with the white wine and allow the wine to reduce by half.
    Bring the chicken broth to a simmer. Whisk the roux into the hot broth; continue whisking until you are sure there are no lumps.
    Add the vegetable mixture and stir well.
    Add the tomato puree, ham hock, and the okra and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
    While the gumbo is simmering, cook the andouille in a sauté pan over medium-high heat until browned and cooked through, about 4-5 minutes. Remove the andouille from the pan and reserve the fat.
    Season the duck breasts with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper, and sauté in the andouille fat over medium-high heat until cooked thoroughly.
    Once cool enough to handle cut into a medium dice.
    Season the shrimp with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
    Sear the shrimp in a separate pan over high heat until cooked through, about 2-3 minutes. Don't overcook your shrimp; they're going to cook a bit more the moment you drop them into the hot gumbo.
    Add the shrimp, andouille, and duck to the gumbo along with the tomatoes.
    Continue to simmer until all the ingredients are heated through.
    Season with the remaining salt and pepper, and add hot sauce to taste.
    The amount of hot sauce you add is up to you; be sure to taste the gumbo before dumping a lot of hot sauce into the pot.
    Serve in a bowl over long-grain rice.
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    I have had andoille in pasta and in jambalaya but we normally use andoille in gumbos and stews. Turkey, oyster and andoille gumbo is a favorite with left over turkey. Turnip stew and/or potato stew is also real popular with andoille. :)
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Andouille is one of my favorite quick feeds at work. I just cook them at 225 for about an hour to hour and a half. Then freeze. Thaw out a llink and grab one of those uncle ben wild rice packets you nuke and reheat it in the microwave at work. Good feed quick. Also use it as part of any kind of stuffing such as stuffed chicken breast along with bread crumbs,mushrooms and onion.
  • carpetman
    Options
    Thanks Guys - some great ideas. I will be cooking these tomorrow.